Admin
Name: Emiliano

Bray, Gillian

Post by Emiliano » 20/10/2019, 20:47

Gillian Bray 1976 1.jpg
Gillian Bray, in Annuario degli attori 1976
Gillian Bray 1976 2.jpg
Gillian Bray, in Annuario degli attori 1976
Gillian Bray, class of 1947, a very tall beauty (1,82 m.), English, from Yorkshire.[1]

After being a member of the group of the "Bluebell girls" in Las Vegas and one of the Bunnies of the London Playboy Club[1], she arrived in Rome at the end of Sixties and thanks of her sweet face and innocent look, she becomes the ideal interpreter for the character of a girl with a child's brain in Duccio Tessari's cult-noir La morte risale a ieri sera (1970).

Thanks to this first feature film, she started working in the Italian show business industry. Immediately she performs a rapid apparition by the side of Paolo Villaggio in the most popular Italian music television broadcast of the early 70s, "Canzonissima", and subsequently, for some years, she appears in a handful films of great appeal.

Doubtless, her long legs will be her "ace up your sleeve". She works with second-rate roles in few comedies until she reaches her leading role in Voto di castità (1976) by Joe D'Amato, which will also represent her last movie. After that, all her traces were lost. Most likely she returned to her family in the UK.

Filmography

1. La morte risale a ieri sera .... Donatella Berzaghi (credited as "Gill Bray")

2. In nome del popolo italiano .... Doris Darryl (uncredited)
  3. Io non spezzo... rompo .... role? (uncredited)
  4. Riuscirà l'avvocato Franco Benenato a sconfiggere il suo acerrimo nemico il pretore Ciccio De Ingras? .... Ingrid Larsen (credited as "Gilian Bray")

5. Un animale chiamato... uomo! .... role? (credited)

6. Il colonnello Buttiglione diventa generale .... Tenant Evelyn Patterson (credited)
  7. Schiave nell'isola del piacere / Karate, Küsse, blonde Katzen .... Brenda (credited)
  8. Ying chi (Karate, Küsde, blonde Katzen) .... Brenda (credited)

9. Voto di castità .... Ileana (credited)
  10. Il padrone e l'operaio .... Silvana, Gianluca's lover (credited)
Television

• Canzonissima (RAI musical variety, january 6, 1971) .... Showgirl
Notes and sources
1. Italian weekly Tempo (Year XXXII n. 35, August 1970).
Last edited by Emiliano on 28/09/2022, 18:54, edited 32 times in total.

Emiliano
Admin

Re: Gillian Bray

Post by Emiliano » 20/10/2019, 20:58

Her most famous role in La morte risale a ieri sera (1970) as Donatella Berzaghi
In this (relatively) short role, she does not speak a word, but she is equally incisive while duet with the great Raf Vallone, thanks to the perfect physical adherence to her character.
La morte risale a ieri sera (1970) 1.jpg
La morte risale a ieri sera (1970) 2.jpg
La morte risale a ieri sera (1970) 3.jpg
La morte risale a ieri sera (1970) 4.jpg
La morte risale a ieri sera (1970) 5.jpg

Emiliano
Admin

Post by Emiliano » 20/10/2019, 21:04

Immediately after Tessari's film, Gillian was called to work on Italian TV as soubrette in the widely followed music program Canzonissima.
In the episode of january 6, 1971, the famous comedian Paolo Villaggio highlight the charm of her long legs with a little gag.
Canzonissima -06_01_1971 1.jpg
Canzonissima -06_01_1971 3.jpg
Canzonissima -06_01_1971 6.jpg

Emiliano
Admin

Post by Emiliano » 20/10/2019, 21:13

In Riuscirà l'avvocato Franco Benenato a sconfiggere il suo acerrimo nemico il pretore Ciccio De Ingras? (1971) as Ingrid Larsen
In this film, she plays a Swedish girl who is a bit spooky and provocative with the hobby of photography, whose graces excite an old man and even the whole court of the tribunal.
Riuscirà l'avvocato Franco Benenato (1971) 1.jpg
Riuscirà l'avvocato Franco Benenato (1971) 2.jpg
Riuscirà l'avvocato Franco Benenato (1971) 3.jpg
Riuscirà l'avvocato Franco Benenato (1971) 4.jpg
Riuscirà l'avvocato Franco Benenato (1971) 5.jpg

To jocularly emphasize the actress's height, Franco Franchi uses a chair to put the jacket back on her shoulders.
Riuscirà l'avvocato Franco Benenato (1971) 6.jpg
Riuscirà l'avvocato Franco Benenato (1971) 7 Ingrid Larsen.jpg

Emiliano
Admin

Post by Emiliano » 20/10/2019, 21:21

In Il padrone e l'operaio (1976) as Gianluca's lover
In a duet with the protagonist, Renato Pozzetto, who calls her with the ironic nickname of "Gigante buono" (Gentle giant).
Il padrone e l'operaio (1976) 1.jpg
Il padrone e l'operaio (1976) 2.jpg
Il padrone e l'operaio (1976) 3.jpg

The character of Pozzetto while is really captivated by the length of Gillian's legs.
Il padrone e l'operaio (1976) 4.jpg
Il padrone e l'operaio (1976) 5.jpg
Il padrone e l'operaio (1976) 6.jpg
Il padrone e l'operaio (1976) 7.jpg
Il padrone e l'operaio (1976) 8 Silvana.jpg

Emiliano
Admin

Post by Emiliano » 20/10/2019, 21:24

A little rolen in Il colonnello Buttiglione diventa generale (1974) as Tenant Evelyn Patterson
While she is swimming naked in a river, she is surrounded by Aldo Maccione, who is immediately put to attention when he discovers that she is not an ordinary girl, but an American officer.
Il colonnello Buttiglione diventa generale (1974) 1.jpg
Il colonnello Buttiglione diventa generale (1974) 2.jpg
Il colonnello Buttiglione diventa generale (1974) 3.jpg
Il colonnello Buttiglione diventa generale (1974) 4.jpg
Il colonnello Buttiglione diventa generale (1974) 5.jpg
Il colonnello Buttiglione diventa generale (1974) 6 Ten Evelyn Patterson.jpg

Emiliano
Admin

Post by Emiliano » 20/10/2019, 21:39

Strangely uncredited in In nome del popolo italiano (1971) as Doris Darryl
Perhaps her most auto-ironic role. She impersonates an actress with an head in the clouds, of a Giallo called "La civetta dagli occhi di fuoco" (The flame-eyed owl), rewarded with the “Golden Mussel”, an award that appears very caricatural, as the title of the movie.
In nome del popolo italiano (1971) 1.jpg

To add irony to the scene, when she smiles, Gillian must cover her mouth because she lacks a tooth (obviously painted black).
In nome del popolo italiano (1971) 2.jpg
In nome del popolo italiano (1971) 3.jpg
In nome del popolo italiano (1971) 4.jpg
In nome del popolo italiano (1971) 5.jpg
In nome del popolo italiano (1971) 6.jpg

Emiliano
Admin

Post by Emiliano » 20/10/2019, 23:08

In Voto di castità (1976) as Ileana
A scandalous erotic comedy, at the time censored because of the subject (an incest). This is undoubtedly her biggest role.
Voto di castità (1976) 1.jpg
Voto di castità (1976) 2.jpg
Voto di castità (1976) 3.jpg
Voto di castità (1976) 4.jpg
Voto di castità (1976) 5.jpg
Voto di castità (1976) 6.jpg
Voto di castità (1976) 7.jpg

Emiliano
Admin

Post by Emiliano » 17/11/2019, 17:46

Gillian portrayed by Roberto Rocchi on the Italian montly magazine Playmen (Anno IV n. 4 April, 1970)
She's also present in the central poster, not published here due to difficulty in scanning.
Unfortunately, the captions add nothing to her bio.
Playmen (Anno IV n. 4 April, 1970) 1 mod 96dpi.jpg
Playmen (Anno IV n. 4 April, 1970) 2 mod 96dpi.jpg
Playmen (Anno IV n. 4 April, 1970) 3 mod 96dpi.jpg
Playmen (Anno IV n. 4 April, 1970) 4 mod 96dpi.jpg
Playmen (Anno IV n. 4 April, 1970) 5 mod 96dpi.jpg
Playmen (Anno IV n. 4 April, 1970) 6 mod 96dpi.jpg
Last edited by Emiliano on 08/10/2021, 9:24, edited 1 time in total.

Emiliano
Admin

Post by Emiliano » 18/11/2019, 15:09

Article from the Italian weekly Tempo (Year XXXII n. 35, August 1970)
By Sandro Villa - Photo: Paolo Costa

Perhaps the only interview ever granted by the actress, with interesting anecdotes about her private life.
Tempo (Y. XXXII n. 35, August 1970) 1.jpg
Tempo (Y. XXXII n. 35, August 1970) 3.jpg
Tempo (Y. XXXII n. 35, August 1970) 2.jpg

Follow the english traslation: "One meter and eighty of a bunny"

«They were looking for a tall, very tall actress. And the movie couldn't begin. The director had seen an infinity of girls from the size we say extraordinary, but none was fine, because each was either oily, or too old, or woody, while it needed a type that was also sexy, half a woman and half a child, half a giant by fairy tale and half earthly creature. Able to fall in love. Get used as an object. Being killed in the ine as too bulky presence. One day I happened in the production offices. In a flash they engaged me and the role was mine. That's how I made my debut in the cinema», says Gillian Bray. The film she talks about is "I milanesi ammazzano il sabato". Director Duccio Tessari. Its role is that of the female protagonist. Alongside Raf Vallone and Frank Wolf.
The "giantess" really has something extraordinary. Extraordinarily long are the turned legs of a dancer, the arms that - talking - protrude themselves like helices in the air, their hands strong and slender.
«In Italy. Everywhere I go, they all look at me in awe and I don't understand why - she says. - I'm getting used to it now, but in the beginning I was a little annoyed. Basically they are not a freak show. Without cotton and without shoes I measure one meter eighty-two. Sure. With heels and with toupees on my head, I grow again. But it's just centimeters stuff».

A river of gold

She is 23 years old and is of English nationality. She has lived in Rome for a year and does not speak a word of Italian. She too belongs to that large group of foreigners who happened to be here perhaps by chance and who then chose not to leave anymore. They say about climate and human relationships. But also a question of love, which is revealed to her here as never before, and of the possibility of working, which here, more than elsewhere, is granted. She came to Rome at the invitation of an entrepreneur who saw her in London and had her come to dance in a little show. "Luci di Trastevere", with which a new theater was inaugurated. But, between tests and replies, everything lasted only two months. When the doors of the theater closed, she remained anyway. Meanwhile she had met the man who did it for her, a Greek actor who has lived and worked in Italy for years.

«In Rome, in short, I was born as an actress. And we hope that Rome now makes me a star», she declares sincerely. Without even a modicum of modesty. She does not lack work and the money she earns seems to her a river of gold that, unexpectedly, flows in front of her. He spends it in the most insane ways - she takes a plane and goes to London to buy himself a suit: «Because it costs less in London»; she fills the house with trinkets and souvenirs, and then shoves them under the sofa - piled in a suitcase - because the house still lacks furniture on which to place them; assailed by indecision, between the purchase of a jewel and that of a swimsuit, both of them are bought; if she manages to put aside a nest egg, she immediately sends it to her mother «not because he needs it. But so, because you know that I am well and want to know you happy». The days unfold for her in a continuous party. They are party calls from friends, job offers, swimming in the pool, horse races, the parties that never misses, the travel plans on which spasmodically is allocated, even if the journey is no longer done because a work commitment has occurred for you or your partner.
The most frequently used adjectives are "exciting", "fantastic", "wonderful", "terribly dramatic". "Horrible" was the boredom that troubled her as she was forced to live in the province. "Anguished" is the shyness that afflicted her in her adolescence, when her body began to grow - after twelve years - so far out of the ordinary. The "jealous" jealousy she felt when the sister she loved most married and she came to want to kill her brother-in-law. A sort of childish candor has remained in her character, and surrounds with a mythical aura the experiences she has made and the memories of her past.
Until she was eighteen she remained in Yorkshire, a country of farmers and fishermen. She goes to school, but the studio doesn't like it at all and just waits to be able to stop. She has a lot of friends, but in the end the greatest fun is listening to records. At home a certain hubbub reigns: the father is a fisherman and the mother has to look after a real tribe. There are five brothers, all very tall - one is the royal guard, one is a model, another is an athlete - all of them by age. Very lively and arrogant. At the age of sixteen he saw London for the first time and was enchanted by it: «There is something to enjoy»; but for two years he still has to obey her parents, "who were not entirely wrong, because I was as big and big as I am now, but I still had a brain like a child, yet". At eighteen she is in London. She lives in a room furnished with a sister, they have very little money, but it is still better than the one they left behind. The first job they find is in a very elegant private club in the West End, where they serve customers in the gambling hall, «It was a shock to see so much money wielded, to lose huge sums without flinching. The stench of the nose and the snobbery of those people was also a beautiful lesson», she says. Obviously it couldn't last. In fact, she read an advertisement that required girls to be hired among the blue-bells, introduced himself and signed a contract for eighteen months.

Too much boredom

She went to Las Vegas. «For a while everything was wonderful. Absolutely chic people. Guys like Elvis Presley or Frank Sinatra who invite you to drink with them at their table. But then you realize that nothing new ever happens and people like that look alike», she recalls. In short, she starts to get bored. Take advantage of the preference that the director of the complex has for you and break the contract. Back to England. Also because she believed she could not live without a guy he had fallen in love with. Instead she realizes that she can do very well without it and find another job. This time she becomes a bunny, a bunny from the "Play-boy" club. «An indescribable effort. Hours and hours standing. A discipline that that of the school, in comparison was nothing. Penalty for a stretch mark in stockings. For a broken nail, for not perfect makeup. And when to gains, there was little to be happy: all appearance and no substance». Obviously this work would also end.
The beautiful Gillian Bray paws, and finally makes her choice. She is no longer the provincial girl who gets excited before the money of others and the beautiful clothes of the ladies she serves. You want money and nice clothes. From appearance she wants to become the protagonist. From a figure that acts as a background, she wants to come to the fore. «I could no longer bear to be called by name», she says reflexively. - Both among the blue-bells and the bunnies, I was a blue-bell or a bunny, not Gillian. It was a very bad thing. For this reason, at a certain point, I realized that I wanted to become an actress, to use my face and my type to represent how I could a character. With the cinema I look for money. It's true. But I also try to be myself, to affirm myself for what I am, beautiful or ugly, regular or unusual, silly or intelligent».

Original article: "Un metro e ottanta di coniglietta"

«Cercavano un'attrice alta, altissima. E il film non riuscivano a cominciarlo. Il regista aveva visto un'infinità di ragazze dalla taglia diciamo straordinaria, ma nessuna andava bene, perchè ciascuna era o grassa, o troppo vecchia, o legnosa, mentre occorreva un tipo che fosse anche sexy, metà donna e metà bambina, metà gigantessa da favola e metà creatura terrena. Capace di innamorarsi. Farsi usare come un oggetto. Venire uccisa alla ine in quanto presenza troppo ingombrante. Un giorno capitai io negli uffici di produzione. In un baleno mi scritturarono e il ruolo fu mio. Ecco come ho debuttato nel cinema» dice Gillian Bray. Il film di cui parla è "I milanesi ammazzano il sabato". Il regista Duccio Tessari. Il suo ruolo quello della protagonista femminile. A fianco di Raf Vallone e Frank Wolf.
La "gigantessa" ha davvero qualcosa di straordinario. Straordinariamente lunghe sono le gambe tornite da ballerina, le braccia che - parlando - si protensono come eliche nell'aria, le mani forti e affusolate.
«In Italia. Ovunque vado, mi guardano tutti strabiliati e non capisco perchè - dice. - Adesso mi sto abituando, ma in principio ero un po' seccata. In fondo non sono un fenomeno da baraccone. Senza cotonatura e senza scarpe misuro un metro e ottantadue. Certo. Coi tacchi e col toupet in testa, cresco ancora. Ma è solo roba di centimetri».

Un fiume d'oro

Ha 23 anni ed è di nazionalità inglese. Abita a Roma da un anno e non parla una parola di italiano. Appartiene anche lei a quella folta schiera di straniere capitate qui magari per caso e che poi hanno scelto di non andarsene più. Questione di clima e di rapporti umani dicono. Ma questione anche di amore, che qui gli si rivela come non mai prima, e di possibilità di lavorare, che qui, più che altrove, le è concessa. Lei capitò a Roma su invito di un impresario che la vide a Londra e la fece venire per ballare in uno spettacolino. "Luci di Trastevere", con cui si inaugurava un nuovo teatro. Ma, fra prove e repliche, tutto durò soltanto due mesi. Quando i battenti del teatro si chiusero, lei rimase ugualmente. Nel frattempo aveva incontrato l'uomo che faceva per lei, un attore greco che da anni vive e lavora in Italia.

«A Roma, insomma, sono nata come attrice. E speriamo che Roma, adesso, faccia di me una stella» dichiara con sincerità. Senza neppure un briciolo di modestia. Il lavoro non le manca e il denaro che guadagna le sembra un fiume d'oro che, inopinatamente, le scorre davanti. Lo spende nei modi più dissennati - prende un aereo e va a Londra a comprarsi un vestito: «Perchè a Londra costa meno»; riempie la casa di ninnoli e souvenir, e poi li ficca sotto il divano - ammassati in una valigia - perchè la casa manca ancora dei mobili su cui collocarli; assalita dall'indecisione, fra l'acquisto di un gioiello e quello di un costume da bagno, li compra tutti e due; se riesce a mettere da parte un gruzzoletto, subito lo spedisce alla madre «non perchè ne abbia bisogno. Ma così, perchè lei sappia che sto bene e voglio saperla felice». Le giornate si dipanano per lei in una festa continua. Sono festa le telefonate degli amici, le offerte di lavoro, le nuotate in piscina, le corse a cavallo, i parties cui non manca mai, i progetti di viaggi su cui si alloca spasmodicamente, anche se poi il viaggio non si fa più perchè un impegno di lavoro è sopraggiunto per lei o il suo partner.
Gli aggettivi che più frequentemente usa sono "eccitante", "fantastico", "meraviglioso", "terribilmente drammatico". "Orrenda" fu la noia che l'angustiò fichè fu costretta a vivere in provincia. "Angosciosa" la timidezza che l'afflisse nell'adolescenza, quando il suo corpo cominciò a crescere - dopo i dodici anni - in misura così fuori dal comune. "Spaventosa" la gelosia che provò quando la sorella che più amava si sposò e lei arrivò a desiderare di uccidere il cognato. Una sorta di candore infantile è rimasto nel suo personaggio, e circonda di un alone mitico le esperienza che ha compiuto e i ricordi del suo passato.
Fino a diciotto anni è rimasta nello Yorkshire, paese di contadini e pescatori. Va a scuola, ma lo studio non le piace per niente e aspetta solo di poter smettere. Ha un sacco di amici, ma in conclusione il maggior divertimento è stare ad ascoltare dischi. In casa regna una certa baraonda: il padre fa il pescatore e la madre deve badare ad una vera tribù. Sono in cinque i fratelli, tutti altissimi - uno fa la guardia reale, una l'indossatrice, un altro l'atleta - tutti in scala per età. Vivacissimi e prepotenti. A sedici anni vede per la prima volta Londra e ne resta incantata: «Lì sì che c'è da divertirsi»; ma per due anni ancora deve ubbidire ai genitori, «i quali non avevano tutti i torti, erchè io ero sì grande e grossa come adesso, però il cervello ce l'avevo proprio come una bambina, ancora». A diciotto anni è a Londra. Abita in una camera ammobilitata con una sorella, hanno pochissimi soldi, ma è pur sempre meglio di quello che si sono lasciati alle spalle. Il primo lavoro che trovano è in un club privato elegantissimo, nel West-End, dove servono i clienti nella sala da gioco, «Fu uno "choc" veder maneggiare tanti soldi, perdere cifre enormi senza battere ciglio. Fu una bella lezione anche la puzza sotto il naso e lo snobismo di quella gente» dice. Ovviamente non poteva durare. Infatti lesse un'inserzione che richiedeva ragazze da scritturare fra le blue-bell, si presentò e firmò un contratto per diciotto mesi.

Troppa noia

Andò a Las Vegas. «Per un po' tutto fu meraviglioso. Gente assolutamente chic. Tipi come Elvis Presley o Frank Sinatra che ti invitano a bere con loro al loro tavolo. Però, poi, ti accorgi che non succede mai niente di nuovo e la gente di quel tipo si assomiglia tutta» ricorda. Insomma, comincia ad annoiarsi. Approfitta della preferenza che il direttore del complesso ha per lei e rompe il contratto. Torna in Inghilterra. Anche perchè credeva di non poter vivee senza un tipo di cui si era innamorata. Invece si accorge che ne può fare benissimo a meno e si trova un altro lavoro. Questa volta diventa una bunny, una coniglietta del club "Play-boy". «Una fatica indescrivibile. Ore e ore in piedi. Una disciplina che quella della scuola, in confronto non era niente. Penalità per una smagliatura nelle calze. Per un'unghia spezzata, per il trucco non perfetto. E quando ai guadagni, c'era poco da stare allegri: tutta apparenza e niente sostanza». Ovvio che anche questo lavoro finisse.
La bella Gillian Bray scalpita, e alla fine fa la sua scelta. Non è più la ragazza di provincia che si emoziona davanti ai soldi degli altri e ai bei vestiti delle signore che serve. Vuole lei i soldi e i bei vestiti. Da comparsa vuole diventare protagonista. Da figura che fa da sfondo, vuole passare in primo piano. «Non sopportavo più che non mi si chiamasse per nome» - dice riflessiva. - Sia fra le blue-bell sia fra le bunnies, io ero una blue-bell o una bunny, non Gillian. Era una cosa bruttissima. Per questo, a un certo punto, ho capito che volevo diventare una attrice, usare il mio volto e il mio tipo per rappresentare come io potevo un personaggio. Col cinema cerco i soldi. È vero. Però cerco anche di essere me stessa, di affermarmi per quella che sono, bella o brutta, regolare o inconsueta, sciocca o intelligente che sia».
Last edited by Emiliano on 08/10/2021, 9:25, edited 1 time in total.