Introduction Moderators Guide
Formatting styles Technical problems
PeplumParadise
Name: Nick

Re: Forum changes

Post by PeplumParadise » 14/10/2021, 12:34

Emiliano wrote:
14/10/2021, 12:27
Among other things, with complete magazine pages it is not considered that on mobile devices they are equally unreadable if the articles are not cropped.
I would never consider reading an internet page on a mobile. On a tablet/ipad you are able to enlarge the text or image so it is readable and on a computer you see it as it is intended to be seen. We are creating a website, not an app.

Emiliano
Admin
Name: Emiliano

Post by Emiliano » 14/10/2021, 12:40

Then, as you can enlarge on mobile devices, on a PC you can also right-click and open the image in another window to load the complete image.

PeplumParadise

Post by PeplumParadise » 14/10/2021, 12:46

Emiliano wrote:
14/10/2021, 12:40
Then, as you can enlarge on mobile devices, on a PC you can also right-click and open the image in another window to load the complete image.
That works on the PC, for those people that aware that this can be done, but if I try enlarging the images on my ipad they are unreadable because I am enlarging the resized image

PeplumParadise

Post by PeplumParadise » 14/10/2021, 12:52

PeplumParadise wrote:
14/10/2021, 12:30
For profile images maybe it is better to use only horizontal images wherever possible, as is the case with most profile images taken from films rather than portraits. These tend to look better as you are able to read the text of the bio below while still seeing the image.
For profile images in "portrait" tall style it also looks unattractive as the images are on the left rather than centred and you are left with a large blank space on the right

PeplumParadise

Post by PeplumParadise » 14/10/2021, 12:59

PeplumParadise wrote:
14/10/2021, 12:46
Emiliano wrote:
14/10/2021, 12:40
That works on the PC, for those people that aware that this can be done, but if I try enlarging the images on my ipad they are unreadable because I am enlarging the resized image
I wasn't aware that images could be viewed, enlarged, separately in a new window until you mentioned it now, so I'm sure most casual internet users would be unaware of it also
Last edited by PeplumParadise on 14/10/2021, 16:10, edited 1 time in total.

PeplumParadise

Post by PeplumParadise » 14/10/2021, 13:07

Sorry, I'm not trying to cause problems, I'm just frustrated that some of my my posts for Scilla do not appear the way I had intended them to.

One solution would be maybe to include the instruction "to read the text please open the image in a separate window" for any posts where this issue occurs

Johan Melle

Post by Johan Melle » 14/10/2021, 15:53

I don't mind the downsized images, because it's easier to look at the whole images without having to scroll. Not just with the portraits. It's the same with a lot of 1940s and 50s films, which are typically in the 4:3 format or thereabout (at least not widescreen). I've not looked too much at pages with posters or articles, though, and I guess they might be affected more badly. I guess we just have to settle on something as I don't think there's one solution that works well for absolutely everything.

Anyway, there's now an automatic line separation? This is going to make a lot of old posts look weird, I think. Posts where double spaces have been used will now have huge gaps. And Rudy, who likes to break a lot of lines in his texts will now have all sorts of weird spaces in the middle of his texts...

PeplumParadise

Post by PeplumParadise » 14/10/2021, 16:08

Johan Melle wrote:
14/10/2021, 15:53
Anyway, there's now an automatic line separation? This is going to make a lot of old posts look weird, I think. Posts where double spaces have been used will now have huge gaps. And Rudy, who likes to break a lot of lines in his texts will now have all sorts of weird spaces in the middle of his texts...
Yes, I noticed that, particularly in the film topics where there are now line gaps between the actor and role, but then no gap between the role and the image below - which does look strange. Maybe there should come a point where we are happy enough with the way the forum looks and keep it that way for awhile, rather than constantly changing it, while some things such as updating the formats of the filmographies are started but left uncompleted. I know it is because we want the forum to look as good as possible, but there really is no need to constantly change things like fonts and spacings when, for the most part, they looked fine before.

PeplumParadise

Post by PeplumParadise » 14/10/2021, 23:51

Congratulations in finding a solution to the problem with the posts in Scilla's topic :clap:

Emiliano
Admin
Name: Emiliano

Post by Emiliano » 15/10/2021, 0:08

PeplumParadise wrote:
14/10/2021, 23:51
Congratulations in finding a solution to the problem with the posts in Scilla's topic :clap:
I am trying to improve. Please be patient. :praying: