Comments underneath the pictures

Introduction Moderators Guide
Formatting styles Technical problems
Johan Melle

Post by Johan Melle » 21/05/2023, 15:12

If I may be so bold as to ask: why are so many posts being marked with "own entry"? What is the purpose of this? Same with all the "Originally posted by such and such in a post with so and so many pictures. Now upgraded and given its own entry, with six new pictures added and black bars removed and year corrected etc, etc, etc." Are these dissertions really of much use to anyone? Isn't "originally identified by Emiliano - upgraded" or something like that enough? Just wondering.

PeplumParadise
Name: Nick

Post by PeplumParadise » 21/05/2023, 15:35

Johan Melle wrote:
21/05/2023, 15:12
If I may be so bold as to ask: why are so many posts being marked with "own entry"? What is the purpose of this? Same with all the "Originally posted by such and such in a post with so and so many pictures. Now upgraded and given its own entry, with six new pictures added and black bars removed and year corrected etc, etc, etc." Are these dissertions really of much use to anyone? Isn't "originally identified by Emiliano - upgraded" or something like that enough? Just wondering.
Well it's always been a thing on the forum to give credit where it's due, which is one of the things which differentiates us from other sites - not really necessary unless you really want to be recognised as the first person to make the identification or if you want to blame someone for a mis-identification, but sort of nice to have anyway.

When a post is edited it shows as such at the bottom of the post with no further information, so whatever is written below the images gives information as to whatever that editing involved, again not really necessary, but informative if you want to know what changes have been made by others editing your posts.

So in conclusion it is not something that is really necessary and is only of relevance to the forum members, but neither does it do any harm so I don't see any necessity to stop or change it.

Cinema Italiano
Name: Sergio

Post by Cinema Italiano » 21/05/2023, 16:35

Johan Melle wrote:
21/05/2023, 15:12
As said by Johan, I actually think that we can limit ourselves to transcribing the name of the forumer who originally identified the actor or actress and that it is not necessary to include the technical details as well.

Johan Melle

Post by Johan Melle » 21/05/2023, 18:05

PeplumParadise wrote:
21/05/2023, 15:35
Well it's always been a thing on the forum to give credit where it's due, which is one of the things which differentiates us from other sites - not really necessary unless you really want to be recognised as the first person to make the identification or if you want to blame someone for a mis-identification, but sort of nice to have anyway.

When a post is edited it shows as such at the bottom of the post with no further information, so whatever is written below the images gives information as to whatever that editing involved, again not really necessary, but informative if you want to know what changes have been made by others editing your posts.

So in conclusion it is not something that is really necessary and is only of relevance to the forum members, but neither does it do any harm so I don't see any necessity to stop or change it.
Of course give credit where credit is due! Never meant to imply otherwise. I'm only raising the question of how much information is really needed. I find it more pleasing to the eye without the long comments, but it's not a huge issue.