Poster credits

Introduction Moderators Guide
Formatting styles Technical problems
PeplumParadise
Name: Nick

Poster credits

Post by PeplumParadise » 21/09/2019, 12:38

I am wondering why people are reluctant to include poster credits for actors in the filmographies, particularly for hard-to-find films where we are unable to verify an actors appearance in the film. Surely a poster or press book credit, being official publicity for the film, is as valid as a listing in the credits of the film. Neither guarantees that the actor appears in the film, but in these cases it is as good an identification as we are likely to get in lieu of the film turning up. I would think they should be included in the filmographies marked as "poster credit". Examples below I have previously posted in the topics for Angelini, Thomas and Scavran.
s-l1600.jpg
il-sangue-e-la-sfida-img-40912.jpg

Johan Melle

Re: Poster credits

Post by Johan Melle » 21/09/2019, 13:30

I have no aversion to including info from posters etc, but I'm not sure exactly how to go about it. As you said, being listed on a poster doesn't guarantee that the actor actually appears in the film (although I'd say it's very likely) and we have decided on a policy of not putting films in the filmography without having verified that the actor in question actually appears. I agree with you we should include info from posters, but I'm not sure whether it should go straight to the filmography and be marked with a 'poster credit' or if it should be put in 'Filmography to be verified' with a note about the actor being credited on the poster. I'd like to hear Emiliano's opinion on this...

PeplumParadise

Post by PeplumParadise » 21/09/2019, 13:43

Since we include listings in the filmographies when actors are listed in the film credits, even when they don't necessarily appear in the film with a note to that effect, then I would think that a credit on a poster should be treated the same way, but that's only my feeling, obviously Emiliano has the final say

Emiliano
Admin
Name: Emiliano

Post by Emiliano » 21/09/2019, 22:13

Essentially in filmographies no direct copying from IMDb or Wikipedia should appear. This is because there are "funny guys" who insert fake data or others who are wrong to identify an actor and insert him into the cast. The value of the poster credits compared the movie credits, sometimes is slightly lower, this is because it happens that some posters was made for advertising purposes and edited before the film was actually produced and therefore the cast was only "indicative" and could not represent the real protagonists. Different speech for movie posters that have actually been shot and therefore reflect the titles of the same. So, in my opinion, poster credits can be entered, but I would choose to differentiate them from others in order to keep track of the source. So I believe that Johan's solution, the "poster credit" is the ideal solution, to be included in "main" filmographies; instead "filmographies to be verified" should include only mentions reported by third parties (IMDb, Wikipedia, cinematografo.it, etc.)

PeplumParadise

Post by PeplumParadise » 21/09/2019, 22:34

Thank you, I think that is the ideal solution. When someone has the chance can they add the poster credits for Angelini, Thomas and Scavran please, the poster images are already in their topics

Emiliano
Admin
Name: Emiliano

Post by Emiliano » 21/09/2019, 22:37

PeplumParadise wrote:
21/09/2019, 22:34
Thank you, I think that is the ideal solution. When someone has the chance can they add the poster credits for Angelini, Thomas and Scavran please, the poster images are already in their topics
Ok, I do it now.