Technical problems

Introduction Moderators Guide
Formatting styles Technical problems
Emiliano
Admin
Name: Emiliano

Re: Forum changes

Post by Emiliano » 08/03/2022, 21:11

This is how actually the forum looks on Safari. Without Ad block.
A9DF8E92-CE8E-4B88-9A85-A14B73CA5207.jpeg
E3C607A8-5862-4807-AB11-A8B42EBF00A8.jpeg
18CEE60A-EA82-4FAE-AAB2-7C965421E5E6.jpeg

PeplumParadise
Name: Nick

Post by PeplumParadise » 08/03/2022, 22:30

I found out how to fix my problem. It seems you must have the page stretched to a certain width otherwise you get the big gaps like here. If you stretch the page a little wider the gaps disappear - the ads are still there without ad-block
Screenshot 2022-03-08 at 21.22.38.jpg

Emiliano
Admin

Post by Emiliano » 12/03/2022, 14:47

I should have solved for the blank space :crossed_fingers:

PeplumParadise

Post by PeplumParadise » 12/03/2022, 17:53

Emiliano wrote:
12/03/2022, 14:47
I should have solved for the blank space :crossed_fingers:
Yes, seems to be good now :thumbup:

Emiliano
Admin

Forum problems

Post by Emiliano » 24/03/2022, 17:54

The hosting service just notified me that they are changing servers. Do not make any changes to the contents for 24 hours, as they may not be saved. I think it's all over by Saturday. I will notify you when this hassle is over.
Senza titolo-1.jpg

Emiliano
Admin

Forum problems

Post by Emiliano » 25/03/2022, 18:25

The maintenance activities are finished. You can go back to writing safely. :)
F6B669CC-1C29-48A1-886C-8C24EB0ECF93.jpeg

Emiliano
Admin

Forum problems

Post by Emiliano » 28/03/2022, 21:30

PeplumParadise wrote:
28/03/2022, 19:12
Also I'm not sure that switching from 10 to 5 posts per page is a good idea, it makes it more complicated and time consuming to browse or search through a topic when you have double the amount of pages. Sorry, I seem to be the only one who is being opinionated, some feedback from others on what they think about the changes would probably be useful
The problem of the loading time of the page is questionable. For example, who have to surf the web with smartphone connection (like me), at 1Mb/s take twice as long before being able to edit a page because I have to wait for the load of all the images of the 10 posts. For the topic-search there is a search box at the top of the topic (not the one on the right top bar). However, as I have waited all this time, I can go back to putting the 10 posts, it's really not a problem.
PeplumParadise wrote:
28/03/2022, 18:02
I would say that De Filippo and Galadini definitely belong more with the 40's/50's group, and Dottesio was busy throughout the 40's and 50's, though he was more prolific in the 60's. Many borderline cases too with Arena, Baghino, Buzzanca, Corevi, Meniconi and Poli all very active from the 40's or early 50's. With so many crossover cases I'm not sure how beneficial the new sub-divisions will be as an aid to finding people more easily
Going back to splitting artists for years, I realize it's creating more problems than good, so I'll go back to the previous version without splitting for years. I would eliminate some forums. For example, the subdivision of the Extras I would do it only in three categories: Most active, Less active and unknown and I would remove the others (20, 20-49).

Than my last goal is to get rid of the icons on the home page. This is because in a few months I will have to move for work and I may not be able to take the PC with me. All this for 6 months at least. And be without icons for months and months have no sense.

Not to mention how much time and complexity it takes each time to put these icons, it is not a Word style copy-paste. I must working in the code language of the platform every time, because it is absolutely not intended to put multiple images with links in that place. Even teaching someone would take weeks. And it only takes a small mistake (a brace perhaps in the middle of 100 other signals) to crash the whole aspect.

For this reason I am creating lists in topics that you moderators can edit with icons that can be made by anyone without any software in a very simply way or at least in the simplest way that is possible.

This is still a forum, with its pros and cons, not a database. When we went back to rebuilding the project a few years ago, I said that perhaps it would be better to choose another type of platform (at least wikipedia style) to which a forum for debates could then be connected - even if in any case also on wiki-platorms you can make discussions. But I met the no of the others who preferred the old method.

PeplumParadise

Forum problems

Post by PeplumParadise » 28/03/2022, 22:07

I can see that the main home page is getting unmanageable with so many icons and sub-divisions.

I like the pages with the circle icons with the names beside them, as you have made for the character actors and leading ladies. Maybe eliminate the icons on the home page and just have the links to those other icon pages instead for each group, especially if the moderators are able to update these pages ourselves - which is really what you say above :)
Last edited by PeplumParadise on 28/03/2022, 22:14, edited 1 time in total.

Emiliano
Admin

Forum problems

Post by Emiliano » 28/03/2022, 22:13

Yes, I have to try to make some more icons and then I'll write a little guide on how to make them (it's easy). Thanks always for your advice, I really appreciate them. Through the mobile phone in the future (from June onwards) I will always be able to move topics, delete or write but I will not be able to make icons or graphics (and this would be the problem).

Johan Melle

Forum problems

Post by Johan Melle » 28/03/2022, 23:01

Sorry for the lack of feedback and participation. There have been various other things taking up much of my time lately, but I do keep checking in.

I would like to say that I really appreciate all of the hard work you put into this site, Emiliano - from the layout to the little features that seem easy but which I'm sure there's plenty of time and effort behind. As for changes, they can sometimes be for the better or sometimes for the worse. And then sometimes it's hard to say right away, because when we are very used to having something a certain way, we tend to not like it when that is changed because it's unfamiliar and we have adapt or learn things anew. Sometimes one just needs to give it time to get used to it before deciding. I don't mind change, but I think it should be for a reason - that something isn't working optimally etc, and not just change for the sake of change.

Anyway, I realize that the work with the icons has become burdensome, so I think you are completely right to remove them in their current form. The "Leading Ladies List" with names and icons looks very, very nice in my opinion, so I think this will be a very good solution :thumbup: