Informations from Wikipedia etc

Introduction Moderators Guide
Formatting styles Technical problems
Emiliano
Admin
Name: Emiliano

Re: Informations from Wikipedia etc

Post by Emiliano » 03/11/2019, 17:53

If I find that a data is quoted by several sources together, such as newspapers, internet newspapers, IMDb (also, yes, but not only), then the data is more plausible that is true, or at least it is a datum that no one could deny at the moment.

PeplumParadise
Name: Nick

Post by PeplumParadise » 03/11/2019, 18:00

So you would put "information unconfirmed" and give the source - or maybe after the main bio put in Unconfirmed Information separately, the same you would for a film to be checked before the appearance has been confirmed

Emiliano
Admin

Post by Emiliano » 03/11/2019, 18:08

Yes, if it is clearly written that the information is not confirmed and that the source is x, you can very well do as you say.

Johan Melle

Post by Johan Melle » 03/11/2019, 18:20

This has nothing to do with being "Nazi" IMO, but simply about showing a healthy amount of skepticism and not blindly accepting any and all information on the web as facts. I do not want to contribute to spreading incorrect information, and we have had a lot of bad experience with Wikipedia in the past.

The IMDb is also problematic. Now, they do not allow users to submit dates of birth or death without including a link to a source to prove the information. That's good! However, it is easily manipulated because of all the blogs and websites that spread mis-information from Wikipedia. For example, IMDb used to state that Jessica Dublin was born April 5, 1942 in Newport, Isle of Wright, England. I never believed this info because it would mean that she was only 29 years old when she appeared in ...continuavano a chiamarlo Trinità (1971). When you look at her in the film, it is obvious that she is far older than that, but I couldn't prove it. Not until Jessica died in 2012, and an obituary was published, and it was revealed that she was in fact born in New York in 1918. This earlier date and place of birth was nothing but a complete fabrication.

And even today, there are still websites claiming Margherita Horowitz died in 1990 as was originally written on Italian Wikipedia. The examples are countless, so there is good reason to be wary of anything unsourced found on Wikipedia etc.

Emiliano
Admin

Post by Emiliano » 03/11/2019, 18:39

There are a dozen examples I could do, I am now reminded of Rosita Toros who give everyone born in Udine, while here you will find that I wrote Gorizia. This is because in the only interview I managed to track down of her, she herself declares to the journalist that she was born in Gorizia (Region Friuli of Italy)! So, my source is this newspaper, them of wikipedia and IMDb? No one knows. In fact I can assume that is invented, or rather deducted: since she is from Region Friuli (Italy) and died in Udine (a city in the Region of Friuli), let's have her born in Udine. These are the automatisms with which biographies are written on the internet.