Unknown ELDA dubbers in 1001 Nights (1969-1970 English-language dub produced in Rome)

Quick identifications
millicent
Name: Brent Millicent Sowerby

Unknown ELDA dubbers in 1001 Nights (1969-1970 English-language dub produced in Rome)

Post by millicent » 02/11/2021, 20:26

Been trying to identify the entire cast for the English-language dub of the anime movie, A Thousand and One Nights. The dub was credited on-screen as being produced by "President SpA Rome" and directed by the late Frederick Neumann. I've already been able to identify Neumann himself, Susan Spafford, Gene Luotto (twice), Mike Billingsley, Robert Spafford, Gisella Mathews, Mel Welles, Cicely Browne, Carolynn de Fonseca, Robert Sommer, Edward Mannix, Ted Rusoff, Frank von Kuegelgen, and Dan Sturkie. A few major characters elude me...

Badli*
Milliam
Jallis
Magic Ship
Genie

*Badli especially I've heard in other things but never had a name for:
Exhibit A (dubbing Dana Andrews as Col. Lancaster in BERLIN APPOINTMENT FOR SPIES (OPERATION POLYPHEMUS)) [1965] {uncredited}
Exhibit B (dubbing Unknown Actor as Conspirator in FURY IN MARRAKESH) [1966] {uncredited}
Exhibit C (dubbing Irio Fantini as Gen. Friederich Gerbordstadt in 5 FOR HELL) [1969] {uncredited}
Exhibit D (dubbing Unknown Actor as History Teacher in AMARCORD) [1973] {uncredited}
Exhibit E (dubbing Silvano Tranquilli as Franco Griva in THE POLICE INDICT, THE LAW ACQUITS) [1973] {uncredited}

Johan Melle

Re: Unknown ELDA dubbers in 1001 Nights (1969-1970 English-language dub produced in Rome)

Post by Johan Melle » 09/11/2021, 23:26

millicent wrote:
02/11/2021, 20:26
Been trying to identify the entire cast for the English-language dub of the anime movie, A Thousand and One Nights. The dub was credited on-screen as being produced by "President SpA Rome" and directed by the late Frederick Neumann. I've already been able to identify Neumann himself, Susan Spafford, Gene Luotto (twice), Mike Billingsley, Robert Spafford, Gisella Mathews, Mel Welles, Cicely Browne, Carolynn de Fonseca, Robert Sommer, Edward Mannix, Ted Rusoff, Frank von Kuegelgen, and Dan Sturkie. A few major characters elude me...
Are you the same person as PointedMonkey? Or is it somehow a coincidence there's another English dubbing related topic in a very short time...?

Anyway, I don't know any of the unknowns, so I can't help much, except to say that the voice identified as Gisella Mathews is not actually her.

millicent
Name: Brent Millicent Sowerby

Re: Unknown ELDA dubbers in 1001 Nights (1969-1970 English-language dub produced in Rome)

Post by millicent » 11/11/2021, 17:42

Johan Melle wrote:
09/11/2021, 23:26
millicent wrote:
02/11/2021, 20:26
Are you the same person as PointedMonkey? Or is it somehow a coincidence there's another English dubbing related topic in a very short time...?
I know the thread you're talking about and saw it, but no, that's not me. Never seen The Damned, though I have always wondered what Chris Cruise's voice sounded like. The thread's existence did make me feel comfortable in posting this here though.
Anyway, I don't know any of the unknowns, so I can't help much, except to say that the voice identified as Gisella Mathews is not actually her.
Hmm, at work now, so can't post clips. As I recall, her later work when aged more wasn't the most helpful comparison, but her role in The Golden Coach seemed pretty close. Thanks for the help!

By the way, done some more research, and the voice I thought was Gene Luotto as the Caliph is actually an actor/dubber named Michael Tor. Found a live-sound role from him in the ever-helpful Conrad Nagel Theater, a Rome-shot anthology that evidently featured mostly-expat casts.

Johan Melle

Post by Johan Melle » 13/11/2021, 23:08

millicent wrote:
11/11/2021, 17:42
I know the thread you're talking about and saw it, but no, that's not me. Never seen The Damned, though I have always wondered what Chris Cruise's voice sounded like. The thread's existence did make me feel comfortable in posting this here though.
Of course! Dubbing-related topics are welcome even if not the main focus of the forum, and we do have topics dedicated to a couple of dubbing artists :)

millicent wrote:
11/11/2021, 17:42
Hmm, at work now, so can't post clips. As I recall, her later work when aged more wasn't the most helpful comparison, but her role in The Golden Coach seemed pretty close. Thanks for the help!

By the way, done some more research, and the voice I thought was Gene Luotto as the Caliph is actually an actor/dubber named Michael Tor. Found a live-sound role from him in the ever-helpful Conrad Nagel Theater, a Rome-shot anthology that evidently featured mostly-expat casts.
I guess you're referring to Mathews' voice role in the infamous Titanic cartoon in which she has a fairly prominent part. Aside from that, she has a small speaking part in Tea with Mussolini (1999), and her voice can also be heard in Sono un fenomeno paranormale (1985) and an episode of the TV series Linda e il brigadiere, though in both of those she speaks in Italian. Based on those performances, I do believe she's the very characteristic older woman voice that dubs Pupella Maggio in Amarcord (1973) (even though IMDb attributes that part to Louise Lambert) and Elisabeth Kaza in Malamore (1982) and Iron Warrior (1987) etc.

Those live-sound roles are always a great help, but it requires that actually have actors to look for. Many of the female dubbers are not even known by name, so it's quite difficult...