Otello Capanna

Quick identifications
ChristofferSlotte

Otello Capanna

Post by ChristofferSlotte » 05/03/2022, 20:38

I think he was brother to Piero Capanna.

He did work in Ben-Hur. He is listed in some Italian film yearbook - or rather Ben-Hur is listed among his films. He is also on a cast list I got from Turners (who own the movie) in 1998. One name in this cast list was not in the official cast list and that was Pietro's. He was the Master of Chariots. This role is in the script also. He is the horseman leading the chariots into the arena before the race. First is the Master of Chariots and then 3-4 other horsemen and then the 9 drivers. In the script he is seen closer but in the film not. They probably cut out his closer shot from the film so that we see him only from very far.

PeplumParadise
Name: Nick

Re: Otello Capanna

Post by PeplumParadise » 05/03/2022, 23:17

ChristofferSlotte wrote:
05/03/2022, 20:38
I think he was brother to Piero Capanna.

He did work in Ben-Hur. He is listed in some Italian film yearbook - or rather Ben-Hur is listed among his films. He is also on a cast list I got from Turners (who own the movie) in 1998. One name in this cast list was not in the official cast list and that was Pietro's. He was the Master of Chariots. This role is in the script also. He is the horseman leading the chariots into the arena before the race. First is the Master of Chariots and then 3-4 other horsemen and then the 9 drivers. In the script he is seen closer but in the film not. They probably cut out his closer shot from the film so that we see him only from very far.
I seems quite likely that Otello and Pietro could be related in some way since they share the same surname and profession, but unfortunately there is no evidence currently available that supports the theory.

Here is Otello in Ben-Hur and also in La scimitarra del Saraceno, in which Pietro also appears. I've never found Otello in any 60's films, but since nothing is known about him beyond him being a stuntman and Omero's father, then it's quite possible that he either retired or died at the end of the 50's.
capanna.jpg
capanna2.jpg
capanna3.jpg
capannao.jpg
capannao2 2.jpg
capannao3.jpg

Going by your description of "Master of chariots", the only character I could see who could fit this description is the guy giving directions at the far end, and he is never seen clearly enough to identify - so if it is Pietro there is no way to confirm it unless he is seen in some on-set footage or photos. The guy in red leading the others into the track is equally unidentifiable so the same applies. Pietro does not appear identifiably anywhere in this scene.
screenshot266.jpg
screenshot296.jpg

PeplumParadise

Post by PeplumParadise » 06/03/2022, 23:44

Just watching War and Peace I thought this could be Otello at front left, he has very distinctive eyes and it looks like half his left eyebrow is missing - visible in all ID's
capanna.jpg
capanna3.jpg
capanna4.jpg
capanna5.jpg
capanna6.jpg
Last edited by PeplumParadise on 07/03/2022, 13:03, edited 1 time in total.

Emiliano
Admin
Name: Emiliano

Post by Emiliano » 06/03/2022, 23:45

It's him you're right.

PeplumParadise

Post by PeplumParadise » 07/03/2022, 16:12

Unfortunately the website for Omero doesn't really tell us anything about Otello other than confirming that he was Omero's father, that his wife's name was Elvira and that he had 4 children (of which Omero was the third). It makes no mention of Pietro, so is of no help in confirming if they were related.

Maybe it would be worth an Italian speaker messaging Omero's son, Luciano - there is an email link on the site for Omero (assuming it is still functional). I'm sure if anyone could provide more information regarding Otello, including if he was related to Pietro, then he would seem to be the obvious option.

ChristofferSlotte

Post by ChristofferSlotte » 07/03/2022, 19:38

I found an old email from Luciano from 2009. He writes that Pietro was Otello's brother and that Otello was Omero's father. Otello lived 1911-93. Pietro had a daughter but she died long ago. Luciano didn't know when Pietro died. Pietro and Otello looked very different. I couldn't believe that they were brothers just by looking at them

PeplumParadise

Post by PeplumParadise » 07/03/2022, 20:22

ChristofferSlotte wrote:
07/03/2022, 19:38
I found an old email from Luciano from 2009. He writes that Pietro was Otello's brother and that Otello was Omero's father. Otello lived 1911-93. Pietro had a daughter but she died long ago. Luciano didn't know when Pietro died. Pietro and Otello looked very different. I couldn't believe that they were brothers just by looking at them
Thanks, that's helpful information, I'll add what is relevant to the biographies for Pietro and Omero. Hopefully we can find a few more roles for Otello and start a topic for him too and in the meantime we can add any additional info or roles we find here.

Brothers don't always look alike, Folco and Piero Lulli were very different from each other.

PeplumParadise

Post by PeplumParadise » 12/03/2022, 17:58

I thought this might be Otello in Sansone e il tesoro degli Incas, which would be his first 60's role found
capanna.jpg

PeplumParadise

Otello Capanna

Post by PeplumParadise » 01/04/2022, 21:10

I think here we have Otello in the background in O.K. Nerone, which would be his earliest role so far by several years - Pietro also appears in the same scene. It really needs a sharper print to be certain, but I'll leave it here so it isn't forgotten about.
screenshot13.jpg
screenshot14.jpg
screenshot15.jpg
screenshot16.jpg

ChristofferSlotte

Otello Capanna

Post by ChristofferSlotte » 02/04/2022, 7:37

that looks like him, but hard to be sure. what is the best dvd version of OK NERONE? There probably isn't any with English subtitles.