Quick identifications

Quick identifications
Johan Melle

Re: Quick Identifications

Post by Johan Melle » 05/02/2021, 16:59

PeplumParadise wrote:
05/02/2021, 16:32
Thanks to having acquired a nice HD copy of Rosmunda e Alboino I have at long last been able to identify the roles played by Amina Pirani-Maggi and Giovanni Vari, previously listed as "credited but not found", which have been added in their topics. I have also upgraded the images and amended the roles for Zulina Badaloni, Elio Bonadonna, Vladimiro Picciafuoci and Spartaco Nale.

One credited actor, who theoretically should be easy to identify, remains elusive - Angelo Boscariol. I kept a close eye out for anyone who might resemble him, even allowing for the pretty awful wigs that many of the actors are stuck with, but the only one who seemed to bear any resemblance is the soldier here. There is absolutely no reason why this soldier should be credited when the 50 others surrounding him are not, but stranger things have happened in Italian movies. What do people think?
BOSCARIOL2AA.jpgBOSCARIOL.jpgBOSCARIOL2.jpgBOSCARIOL3.jpgBOSCARIOL4.jpg

It could also be a possibility, though by no means a certainty that 2 of our unknown actors, Serious Senator and Last Jewish Councillor, could be credited. They both appear as high priests of different warring tribes, both what would be counted as featured non-speaking roles, but since Pirani-Maggi, Vari, Bonadonna and others are also credited for inconsequential non-speaking roles then there's no reason why either of these roles shouldn't be too. Looking through the credits there are 5 names that seem like they could be possibilities - Elio Folgaresi, Guido Manfrino, Nicola Solari, Mario De Persio and Vittorio Cuocolo. Is anybody familiar with any of these actors so they could be eliminated from the list?
PIRANIMAGGI.jpgBOSCARIOL5.jpg
Hmm... I must say I'm really not sure about Boscariol. I can see the similarity particularly in the third picture and also in the fourth, but not so much in the first two. Could be him, but I really can't say for sure.

Regarding the other actors you mention, you can rule out Elio Folgaresi, who I know very well from fotoromanzi. Not familiar with the others, though.

PeplumParadise
Name: Nick

Post by PeplumParadise » 05/02/2021, 17:03

and one more uncertain ID from Rosmunda e Alboino, I think this could be Ho Fu Ling, but am not absolutely certain since he isn't seen in any close shots. Any opinions?
LING.jpg
LING3.jpg
LING4.jpg

Johan Melle

Post by Johan Melle » 05/02/2021, 17:04

PeplumParadise wrote:
05/02/2021, 17:03
and one more uncertain ID from Rosmunda e Alboino, I think this could be Ho Fu Ling, but am not absolutely certain since he isn't seen in any close shots. Any opinions?
LING.jpgLING3.jpgLING4.jpg
Most probably, yes.

PeplumParadise

Post by PeplumParadise » 05/02/2021, 17:50

Johan Melle wrote:
05/02/2021, 16:59

Regarding the other actors you mention, you can rule out Elio Folgaresi, who I know very well from fotoromanzi. Not familiar with the others, though.
Of the remaining 4, 1 should be identifiable and given the sparsity of credits is quite likely a generico.

Nicola (or Nicolas) Solari has 2 more credits, in Omicidio per vocazione (in the role of Becchino) and Il pistolero dell'Ave Maria. Given that these 2 roles are from 1968/69 then I think he is less likely to be one of our unknowns, but I have both these films so will try to identify him.

Mario De Persio looks to have one other credited role in Orient Express (1952, in the role of Carlo Centa), however this is the TV series that somehow stretched 21 episodes out between 1952-54 and not the 1954 film, so may be hard to find.

Vittorio Cuocolo may have an unidentified credited role in Causa di divorzio (1972).

Guido Manfrino doesn't appear to have any other credits, though his name does seem familiar for some reason.

Johan Melle

Post by Johan Melle » 05/02/2021, 18:56

PeplumParadise wrote:
05/02/2021, 17:50
Nicola (or Nicolas) Solari has 2 more credits, in Omicidio per vocazione (in the role of Becchino) and Il pistolero dell'Ave Maria. Given that these 2 roles are from 1968/69 then I think he is less likely to be one of our unknowns, but I have both these films so will try to identify him.
This is Nicola(s) Solari in Omicidio per vocazione. There's a cast list with character names at the end so there's no doubt it's him
Omicidio - Lino Solari1.jpg
Omicidio - Lino Solari2.jpg
Omicidio - Lino Solari3.jpg
Omicidio - Lino Solari4.jpg
Omicidio - Lino Solari5.jpg

Haven't seen this film in ages, but looking at the scenes with Solari now I immediately recognize him. This is the actor who is better known under the name Lino Solari. I know him from a couple of fotoromanzi in which he's credited under that name. IMDb also lists him in six movies, although one of those (Il risveglio di Dracula) is not a real film, but actually just a fotoromanzo.

PeplumParadise

Post by PeplumParadise » 05/02/2021, 19:08

Johan Melle wrote:
05/02/2021, 18:56
PeplumParadise wrote:
05/02/2021, 17:50
This is Nicola(s) Solari in Omicidio per vocazione. There's a cast list with character names at the end so there's no doubt it's him
Omicidio - Lino Solari1.jpg
Omicidio - Lino Solari2.jpg
Omicidio - Lino Solari3.jpg
Omicidio - Lino Solari4.jpg
Omicidio - Lino Solari5.jpg

Haven't seen this film in ages, but looking at the scenes with Solari now I immediately recognize him. This is the actor who is better known under the name Lino Solari. I know him from a couple of fotoromanzi in which he's credited under that name. IMDb also lists him in six movies, although one of those (Il risveglio di Dracula) is not a real film, but actually just a fotoromanzo.
This must also be him in Il pistolero dell'Ave Maria, where he's credited as Nicola, he seems a little different besides the dyed hair but I couldn't see anyone else who resembles him. I'll see if I can recognise him in Rosmunda e Alboino, though since he'll be 7 years younger and probably hidden under a wig it may not be so easy
screenshot5.jpg
screenshot10.jpg

Johan Melle

Post by Johan Melle » 05/02/2021, 19:20

PeplumParadise wrote:
05/02/2021, 19:08
This must also be him in Il pistolero dell'Ave Maria, where he's credited as Nicola, he seems a little different besides the dyed hair but I couldn't see anyone else who resembles him. I'll see if I can recognise him in Rosmunda e Alboino, though since he'll be 7 years younger and probably hidden under a wig it may not be so easy
screenshot5.jpgscreenshot10.jpg
I think that's him, yes, but from the looks of it with his skin painted darker to make him look Mexican :sweat3:

PeplumParadise

Post by PeplumParadise » 05/02/2021, 20:10

Johan Melle wrote:
05/02/2021, 19:20
PeplumParadise wrote:
05/02/2021, 19:08
screenshot5.jpgscreenshot10.jpg
I think that's him, yes, but from the looks of it with his skin painted darker to make him look Mexican :sweat3:
Looking for the high eyebrows and large nose I really don't see anybody in Rosmunda e Alboino that looks obviously like him from those other films, but the film is a bad wig field day on top of which a lot of the actors seem to have received a credit just for showing up on set, so finding him without being more familiar with him might be a losing battle. Still at least I think we can safely say he is not one of the two we are trying to identify.

FatmanDan
Name: Daniel

Post by FatmanDan » 05/02/2021, 21:30

To me, Solari could very well be the first one in the unknown pics section over there in IMDB in ´Rosmunda e Alboino`

PeplumParadise

Post by PeplumParadise » 05/02/2021, 21:55

FatmanDan wrote:
05/02/2021, 21:30
To me, Solari could very well be the first one in the unknown pics section over there in IMDB in ´Rosmunda e Alboino`
Yes, I think you are probably right. I had this actor (mis)identified as someone else so didn't consider him
screenshot13.jpg
screenshot14 2.jpg