Identifying credited-by-picture actors from Il giorno più corto (1963)

Quick identifications
Johan Melle

Identifying credited actors from Il giorno più corto (1963)

Post by Johan Melle » 14/04/2024, 17:58

PeplumParadise wrote:
14/04/2024, 17:50
Thank you

The images above are from the film itself. The poster you mention, which was also the DVD cover, does indeed include a number of actors who do not appear (I spent years trying to find Steve Reeves) and are not included in the credit images in the film. Unfortunately the copies online are not sharp enough to make out the names beneath the images.

Not sure about Teddy Reno
il_giorno_piu_corto-213043563-large.jpg
If you open the pics I attached in a new window to see them in full resolution, you can just about make out the names, so based on that the Teddy Reno ID must be correct.

I also have the rare English-dubbed version of the film from an old TV recording, and it's interesting to note that unlike the Italian opening titles, it actually credits a few of the actors, including several of those than cannot be found anywhere. Franco and Ciccio, the two stars of the film, are not credited at all, though...
Shortest Day 04.jpg
Shortest Day 05.jpg
Shortest Day 06.jpg

PeplumParadise
Name: Nick

Post by PeplumParadise » 14/04/2024, 18:02

Johan Melle wrote:
14/04/2024, 17:30
Here's the poster (and fotobusta) I was referring to. Maybe someone else have them in better resolution, but I think they're just about good enough to make out most of the names that accompany the images:
Shortest Day Poster.jpg
Shortest Day Fotobusta.jpg

Looking at them now, I see that 57 must be Joe Sentieri.
Looks like you found a sharper copy than me, and from that we can add the last remaining unidentified actor - No. 3 = Philippe Leroy. :clap:

Johan Melle

Post by Johan Melle » 14/04/2024, 18:03

PeplumParadise wrote:
14/04/2024, 18:02
Johan Melle wrote:
14/04/2024, 17:30
Here's the poster (and fotobusta) I was referring to. Maybe someone else have them in better resolution, but I think they're just about good enough to make out most of the names that accompany the images:
Shortest Day Poster.jpg
Shortest Day Fotobusta.jpg

Looking at them now, I see that 57 must be Joe Sentieri.
Looks like you found a sharper copy than me, and from that we can add the last remaining unidentified actor - No. 3 = Philippe Leroy. :clap:
I was just about to write the same thing. Yes, it's him, but he wasn't very recognizable in that picture!

PeplumParadise

Post by PeplumParadise » 14/04/2024, 18:04

Johan Melle wrote:
14/04/2024, 17:58
PeplumParadise wrote:
Thank you

The images above are from the film itself. The poster you mention, which was also the DVD cover, does indeed include a number of actors who do not appear (I spent years trying to find Steve Reeves) and are not included in the credit images in the film. Unfortunately the copies online are not sharp enough to make out the names beneath the images.

Not sure about Teddy Reno
il_giorno_piu_corto-213043563-large.jpg
If you open the pics I attached in a new window to see them in full resolution, you can just about make out the names, so based on that the Teddy Reno ID must be correct.

I also have the rare English-dubbed version of the film from an old TV recording, and it's interesting to note that unlike the Italian opening titles, it actually credits a few of the actors, including several of those than cannot be found anywhere. Franco and Ciccio, the two stars of the film, are not credited at all, though...
Shortest Day 04.jpg
Shortest Day 05.jpg
Shortest Day 06.jpg
That's just peculiar, as I'm sure there was no alternative version in which those actors appeared. From those credits the only actors who I think do appear are Lisi, Pidgeon, Granger, Belmondo and Cervi.

Johan Melle

Post by Johan Melle » 14/04/2024, 18:13

PeplumParadise wrote:
The poster also includes images of several other actors who do appear in the film, but who are left out of the image collage at the end of the film. I wonder if they were simply cropped out...?

PeplumParadise

Post by PeplumParadise » 14/04/2024, 18:28

Johan Melle wrote:
14/04/2024, 18:13
PeplumParadise wrote:
The poster also includes images of several other actors who do appear in the film, but who are left out of the image collage at the end of the film. I wonder if they were simply cropped out...?
and maybe further actors on the poster, but not the English credits, who do not appear? I don't remember Sylva Koscina appearing, but it's a while since I looked at the film, so I may have just forgotten her. All will hopefully become clear once the topic is done.

As for how to include the 'credited' actors in the film topic, I suppose the main credit list will be those who have the picture credits in the film in the totally nonsensical order of the images, followed by those who are credited on the poster and do appear and a footnote of those who are credited on the poster and English credits, but are nowhere to be seen.

Johan Melle

Post by Johan Melle » 14/04/2024, 20:02

PeplumParadise wrote:
14/04/2024, 18:28
Johan Melle wrote:
14/04/2024, 18:13
PeplumParadise wrote:
and maybe further actors on the poster, but not the English credits, who do not appear? I don't remember Sylva Koscina appearing, but it's a while since I looked at the film, so I may have just forgotten her. All will hopefully become clear once the topic is done.

As for how to include the 'credited' actors in the film topic, I suppose the main credit list will be those who have the picture credits in the film in the totally nonsensical order of the images, followed by those who are credited on the poster and do appear and a footnote of those who are credited on the poster and English credits, but are nowhere to be seen.
The poster looks to be the most comprehensive, so might form a good basis for the main credit list, though it does include those fake credits, so I don't know. I probably doesn't matter since it'll be a bit of a compromise in either case.

Regarding Sylva Koscina, I don't think she appears either. Again, it looks as if the ones that actually appear are pictured in the costumes they used in the film, whereas the others are not, though there might be an exception or two...

PeplumParadise

Post by PeplumParadise » 14/04/2024, 20:09

Johan Melle wrote:
14/04/2024, 20:02
Regarding Sylva Koscina, I don't think she appears either. Again, it looks as if the ones that actually appear are pictured in the costumes they used in the film, whereas the others are not, though there might be an exception or two...
Similarly I don't believe Eleonora Rossi Drago or Monica Vitti appear either, anyway I've started grabbing the images so before long we should at least have an accurate list of who does actually appear.

While there are plenty of famous names in bit parts, your actual familiar generici are largely noticeable by their absence.

Buono Legnani

Post by Buono Legnani » 14/04/2024, 22:12

Johan Melle wrote:
14/04/2024, 17:18

19: Paolo Ferrari?
35: Maybe Teddy Reno...?
OK Ferrari
OK Teddy Reno