stuntmen before 1969

(Italian stuntmen before 1969)

Quick identifications
ChristofferSlotte

Re: stuntmen before 1969

Post by ChristofferSlotte » 21/12/2019, 12:21

yes that is true. If a stuntman is a star he needs a double even if he could do the stunt

PeplumParadise
Name: Nick

Post by PeplumParadise » 17/04/2020, 15:21

Does anyone know if there was an actual training school for stuntmen in Rome? I'm sure so many men can't have simultaneously arrived on the scene ready-trained in sword fighting, horse riding, taking falls etc. I know some of the stunt families (Ukmars, Dell'Acquas, Zamperlas) came via the circus, the Messinas came from wrestling and others (Torrisi) from body building, but the many others must also have gotten some form of proper training somewhere

Johan Melle

Post by Johan Melle » 17/04/2020, 18:31

PeplumParadise wrote:
17/04/2020, 15:21
Does anyone know if there was an actual training school for stuntmen in Rome? I'm sure so many men can't have simultaneously arrived on the scene ready-trained in sword fighting, horse riding, taking falls etc. I know some of the stunt families (Ukmars, Dell'Acquas, Zamperlas) came via the circus, the Messinas came from wrestling and others (Torrisi) from body building, but the many others must also have gotten some form of proper training somewhere
I would assume so, but I don't know anything about it. I do know there's the Academy of Arms, which I believe was formed by the renowned master of arms Enzo Musumeci Greco and where he taught fencing etc for use in films. Which I guess isn't quite the same, but related at least.

PeplumParadise
Name: Nick

Post by PeplumParadise » 17/04/2020, 19:03

Johan Melle wrote:
17/04/2020, 18:31
PeplumParadise wrote:
17/04/2020, 15:21
I would assume so, but I don't know anything about it. I do know there's the Academy of Arms, which I believe was formed by the renowned master of arms Enzo Musumeci Greco and where he taught fencing etc for use in films. Which I guess isn't quite the same, but related at least.
Enzo's son Renzo is a member of my Peplum Paradise Facebook group, so i'll try asking him :new_thinking:

ChristofferSlotte

Post by ChristofferSlotte » 17/04/2020, 19:52

I have been told that the UK stuntmen in Helen of Troy trained the young future stuntmen of Italy during the making of this film. Musumeci Greco, however, wasn't in this film so the trainers were British mostly plus probably American stunt coordinator Allen Pomeroy who was on the film and maybe Yakima Canutt who directed the 2nd unit.

Enzo Musumeci Greco's list of films is here: https://www.renzomusumecigreco.it/copia-di-cinema

For some reason both 55 Days at Peking and La corona di ferro have vanished from this list. Maybe EMG didn't work on them. They were on previous lists.

Johan Melle

Post by Johan Melle » 17/04/2020, 20:13

ChristofferSlotte wrote:
17/04/2020, 19:52
I have been told that the UK stuntmen in Helen of Troy trained the young future stuntmen of Italy during the making of this film. Musumeci Greco, however, wasn't in this film so the trainers were British mostly plus probably American stunt coordinator Allen Pomeroy who was on the film and maybe Yakima Canutt who directed the 2nd unit.
Yeah, that corresponds with what Clemente Ukmar says in this interview about Americans arriving to make Helen of Troy in 1954 and Musumeci Greco gathering a group of guys who were trained by these Americans. Looks like that's how the Ukmars first started doing stunts, except Bruno, the oldest, who Clemente says was working as a stuntman even before the arrival of the Helen of Troy crew.

Stuntman Mike
Name: Matteo

stuntmen before 1969

Post by Stuntman Mike » 23/07/2022, 20:43

Hi everyone!
I’m new in the forum. I’m Matteo from Italy.
3 important names are missing from the list in my opinion:

Novelli Mario
Petrazzi Riccardo
Ponti Virgilio

ChristofferSlotte

stuntmen before 1969

Post by ChristofferSlotte » 23/07/2022, 20:59

thanks and welcome. you are right! Have you researched Italian stuntmen? Very few people have done that, so I am always looking for persons who know more than I

Stuntman Mike
Name: Matteo

stuntmen before 1969

Post by Stuntman Mike » 23/07/2022, 21:05

I can help you in this area since I work as a stuntman (of the new generations of course) in Italy. I personally know many old guard stuntmen and I can give precious information for the project.

carlos
Name: Carl

stuntmen before 1969

Post by carlos » 23/07/2022, 21:14

Stuntman Mike wrote:
23/07/2022, 20:43
Hi everyone!
I’m new in the forum. I’m Matteo from Italy.
3 important names are missing from the list in my opinion:

Novelli Mario
Petrazzi Riccardo
Ponti Virgilio
Welcome Matteo! Petrazzi is here: viewtopic.php?t=879