Nando Poggi

Quick identifications
ChristofferSlotte

Nando Poggi

Post by ChristofferSlotte » 23/01/2020, 20:40

I'm watching L'amante del demonio. Poggi is often credited as Hans, but he didn't play that part. In a book about Italian gothic horror movies of the 70s Poggi is listed as playing a knight. This is true. A fencer that turns up in the film is in fact called "signor cavaliere" and it looks a lot like Poggi so I think that book is right. Who played Hans in the film? DOes anyone know?

Please look at the photo of Poggi from Ben-Hur in the cinema-italiano.de database. It's the scene where Judah is taken to prison in the beginning. I could almost swear this is not Poggi. As I recall someone told me that Poggi played the pirate who was killed by the spear that Ben-Hur threw at him.

By the way, I phoned Poggi in Sept 2003 and also sent a letter to him. A nice guy who spoke an almost perfect English. Not sure if he is alive now. Probably not. Remo De Angelis also speaks a perfect English in case he is alive. At least he was in 2012.

I asked Poggi about the stuntmen in Ben-Hur. He wrote that "practically every stuntman in Italy worked on it".

PeplumParadise
Name: Nick

Re: Nando Poggi

Post by PeplumParadise » 24/01/2020, 20:40

ChristofferSlotte wrote:
23/01/2020, 20:40
I'm watching L'amante del demonio. Poggi is often credited as Hans, but he didn't play that part. In a book about Italian gothic horror movies of the 70s Poggi is listed as playing a knight. This is true. A fencer that turns up in the film is in fact called "signor cavaliere" and it looks a lot like Poggi so I think that book is right. Who played Hans in the film? DOes anyone know?

Please look at the photo of Poggi from Ben-Hur in the cinema-italiano.de database. It's the scene where Judah is taken to prison in the beginning. I could almost swear this is not Poggi. As I recall someone told me that Poggi played the pirate who was killed by the spear that Ben-Hur threw at him.

By the way, I phoned Poggi in Sept 2003 and also sent a letter to him. A nice guy who spoke an almost perfect English. Not sure if he is alive now. Probably not. Remo De Angelis also speaks a perfect English in case he is alive. At least he was in 2012.

I asked Poggi about the stuntmen in Ben-Hur. He wrote that "practically every stuntman in Italy worked on it".
In answer to your question about Ben-Hur, I'm unsure if this is Poggi, the original identification was made by someone else, but looking at it again I am inclined to agree that it probably is not him. I don't think that he's the pirate hit by Ben-Hur's spear either, the features don't look right.
20626463_1277407275715410_1969773301732860991_o.jpg
Snapshot-2020-01-24 at 06_39_10 PM-413017369.jpg

I'm not familiar with L'amante del demonio, so someone else will have to answer that one.

I think this question should probably have been posted in The Blue Bar or Quick Identifications, rather than starting a topic for Nando, unless you are also posting images.