Uncredited stunt coordinators

Quick identifications
PeplumParadise
Name: Nick

Uncredited stunt coordinators

Post by PeplumParadise » 24/07/2021, 12:00

I'm wondering how to list uncredited stunt coordinators and masters of arms in the filmography if we have no way of confirming if the credit is correct.

For example Nazzareno Zamperla is listed on IMDb as being the stunt coordinator for Fellini Satyricon. The film itself does not contain any credit for stunt coordinator, so I don't know how we can know if this credit is correct or not (admittedly it would probably be easier to find out for a Fellini film than for most other films).

I am hesitant to put it in the "No Nazzareno" section of his filmography since I don't know for sure that he did not perform this function, only that he is not credited for it.

For a film such as I tre sergenti del Bengala, where he appears as an actor, but is not credited as Master of Arms as IMDb suggests, then I suppose that we can put "Master of Arms - unconfirmed" in either the post or the filmography, but a film such as Barabba, where he is listed as Stunt coordinator by IMDb, but is neither credited nor appears, is more problematic since without any credit or other proof of his participation we have no reason to list the film at all other than it's mention on IMDb.

Any opinions or suggestions?
Last edited by PeplumParadise on 24/07/2021, 12:51, edited 1 time in total.

PeplumParadise

Re: Uncredited stunt coordinators

Post by PeplumParadise » 24/07/2021, 12:37

Maybe the best solution would be to keep the title in the "Filmography to check" (even though it has been checked), but with a note that this "credit" is uncredited, so cannot be confirmed. At least that way anyone looking at the list will know that the film no longer needs to be checked, without ruling out the possibility that the listing from IMDb or wherever may still be correct.
Screenshot 2021-07-24 at 11.29.34.jpg

For films where we already have a post as actor I think it is maybe better to mention the credit in the post, but to not include it in the filmography unless it can be confirmed, so titles such as Zorro contro Maciste below can be deleted from the titles to check providing a note has been made in the film's post.
Screenshot 2021-07-24 at 12.45.57.jpg

Johan Melle

Post by Johan Melle » 24/07/2021, 15:20

I would say it depends on what the source is. IMDb is in itself not the best source, but I think many of the uncredited stunt infos added there come from other sources. For example, Sal Borgese is not credited as master of arms in 5 per l'inferno, but we know from the documentary featurette on the German DVD release that he did this job. I also know that Ottaviano Dell'Acqua used to have his own website that included a long filmography. The site is unfortunately gone, but I'm guessing a lot of the uncredited stunt credits on IMDb come from that site.

Nazzareno, from what I know, has given quite a few interviews - some on video, and one in the "Giganti buoni" book at least - and might have mentioned working on such famous films as Barabba and Fellini Satyricon, but it would need to be checked...

FatmanDan
Name: Daniel

Post by FatmanDan » 24/07/2021, 15:39

Ottaviano's filmo can still be seen here: https://web.archive.org/web/20110314173 ... m/film.htm

Johan Melle

Post by Johan Melle » 24/07/2021, 16:07

FatmanDan wrote:
24/07/2021, 15:39
Ottaviano's filmo can still be seen here: https://web.archive.org/web/20110314173 ... m/film.htm
Thank you. I hadn't thought of trying the Wayback Machine :)

PeplumParadise

Post by PeplumParadise » 24/07/2021, 16:11

Johan Melle wrote:
24/07/2021, 15:20
I would say it depends on what the source is. IMDb is in itself not the best source, but I think many of the uncredited stunt infos added there come from other sources. For example, Sal Borgese is not credited as master of arms in 5 per l'inferno, but we know from the documentary featurette on the German DVD release that he did this job. I also know that Ottaviano Dell'Acqua used to have his own website that included a long filmography. The site is unfortunately gone, but I'm guessing a lot of the uncredited stunt credits on IMDb come from that site.

Nazzareno, from what I know, has given quite a few interviews - some on video, and one in the "Giganti buoni" book at least - and might have mentioned working on such famous films as Barabba and Fellini Satyricon, but it would need to be checked...
But in the meantime, pending finding the sources of the information for confirmation, what is the best way to store what unconfirmed information we have? A stunt coordinator is not like an acting role which can be verified by watching the film, so when there is no credit to confirm it the only thing that can be confirmed is the lack of credit, but the lack of a credit does not rule out the possibility that Nazzareno (or whoever) worked in this capacity, unless there is someone else credited instead. My question is where and how it should best be recorded in the topic.
Last edited by PeplumParadise on 24/07/2021, 16:18, edited 1 time in total.

Johan Melle

Post by Johan Melle » 24/07/2021, 16:18

In the cases where the source for the information cannot be found and all we have is a listing on the IMDb, I agree with the suggestions outlined in your second post. I think it's useful to keep the titles in the filmography to check. As we know, credits can vary depending on the print, and you never know when a print with more extensive credits might pop up.

Johan Melle

Post by Johan Melle » 26/07/2021, 0:30

Speaking of stunt coordinator credits, I've now upgraded a ton of pics in Ottaviano Dell'Acqua's topic and in doing so, I also found a number of stunt coordinator/master of arms/stuntman etc credits that had not been included, so just a friendly reminder for everyone to remember to check for those credits as well as the cast lists :)

Anyway, there are still a number of pics that could do with some upgrades - particularly the ones from Trappola diabolica.