Requests for Johan

Errors and Additions reporting Topics to be revised
Update reminder Topics in preparation
PeplumParadise
Name: Nick

Requests for Johan

Post by PeplumParadise » 05/04/2024, 21:05

Do yu know what roles Riley should play in Cleopatra and Moses? I looked through my old head shots for Cleopatra and the only one who seemed at all like a possibility is the one below, though of course having filmed scenes for Cleopatra is no guarantee of appearing in the film, as fellow black Americans Harold Bradley and Carl Latimer were both cut from the finished film
cleopatra_uk245.jpg

Johan Melle

Requests for Johan

Post by Johan Melle » 05/04/2024, 21:21

PeplumParadise wrote:
05/04/2024, 21:05
Do yu know what roles Riley should play in Cleopatra and Moses? I looked through my old head shots for Cleopatra and the only one who seemed at all like a possibility is the one below, though of course having filmed scenes for Cleopatra is no guarantee of appearing in the film, as fellow black Americans Harold Bradley and Carl Latimer were both cut from the finished film
cleopatra_uk245.jpg
For Cleopatra, I don't think it's him in that picture. It's very blurry, but I would say Riley has a lighter skin tone. Since he was a dancer, one would think he had a dancing role in the film (like many other black actor-dancers) but I think maybe it could be him in the blue hat on the right in this picture that you've posted elsewhere (the shocked-looking one with the lighter complexion, I mean)
Cleopatra Riley.jpg

In Moses, I think he was either a slave or a slave-keeper of some sort, but I don't remember which. He's in one of the first episodes, but I'll have to check as I just don't remember anymore.

PeplumParadise

Requests for Johan

Post by PeplumParadise » 05/04/2024, 21:33

Johan Melle wrote:
05/04/2024, 21:21
For Cleopatra, I don't think it's him in that picture. It's very blurry, but I would say Riley has a lighter skin tone. Since he was a dancer, one would think he had a dancing role in the film (like many other black actor-dancers) but I think maybe it could be him in the blue hat on the right in this picture that you've posted elsewhere (the shocked-looking one with the lighter complexion, I mean)
Cleopatra Riley.jpg
I thought the darker skin tone might be the result of standing out in the sun all day on set :smile:, but no, I don't think it's him, just the nearest match from the headshots. I thought the one you mentioned seemed too thin with too-prominent cheekbones

Johan Melle wrote:
In Moses, I think he was either a slave or a slave-keeper of some sort, but I don't remember which. He's in one of the first episodes, but I'll have to check as I just don't remember anymore.
I'll look through it

van den bremt rudy
Senior

Requests for Johan

Post by van den bremt rudy » 06/04/2024, 0:59

While i was searching for Jay Riley, i found another Italian movie that he made.
It was on the website History.sffs.org) when i typed in google : Jay Riley Italian movies.
He appeared in the movie "I dannati della terra" (1970) with Frank Wolff. (no role given) and was not mentioned on Imdb.
Will be difficult to find this movie i think.

Found other titles of him (USA productions and TV work) on Imdb under the name Joe "Flash" Riley and "Jay Merreman Riley".
Shall i typ them here, or will you check them Nick ?
Thanks.

PeplumParadise

Requests for Johan

Post by PeplumParadise » 06/04/2024, 1:13

van den bremt rudy wrote:
06/04/2024, 0:59
While i was searching for Jay Riley, i found another Italian movie that he made.
It was on the website History.sffs.org) when i typed in google : Jay Riley Italian movies.
He appeared in the movie "I dannati della terra" (1970) with Frank Wolff. (no role given) and was not mentioned on Imdb.
Will be difficult to find this movie i think.
Yes, I didn't find it when I was making Marilu Tolo's topic

van den bremt rudy wrote:
06/04/2024, 0:59
Found other titles of him (USA productions and TV work) on Imdb under the name Joe "Flash" Riley and "Jay Merreman Riley".
Shall i typ them here, or will you check them Nick ?
Thanks.
I know what is on IMDb, thank you

Johan Melle

Requests for Johan

Post by Johan Melle » 06/04/2024, 14:26

PeplumParadise wrote:
05/04/2024, 21:33
Johan Melle wrote:
Cleopatra Riley.jpg
I thought the darker skin tone might be the result of standing out in the sun all day on set :smile:, but no, I don't think it's him, just the nearest match from the headshots. I thought the one you mentioned seemed too thin with too-prominent cheekbones

Johan Melle wrote:
I'll look through it
Riley does have rather prominent cheekbones, though. It's a little hard to say based on the strange expression he has in that shot, but it certainly looks like it could be him.

As for Moses, I've checked and he appears in episode 2 as a taskmaster. Episode 2 of the 6-part international version, that is. I know the Italian version is divided into 7 episodes, so can't say in which episode of that version he appears in. Here are pics from British DVD which is in widescreen rather than 4:3.
Moses - Jay Flash Riley1.jpg
Moses - Jay Flash Riley2.jpg
Moses - Jay Flash Riley3.jpg
Moses - Jay Flash Riley4.jpg

PeplumParadise

Requests for Johan

Post by PeplumParadise » 06/04/2024, 14:44

Johan Melle wrote:
06/04/2024, 14:26
Riley does have rather prominent cheekbones, though. It's a little hard to say based on the strange expression he has in that shot, but it certainly looks like it could be him.

As for Moses, I've checked and he appears in episode 2 as a taskmaster. Episode 2 of the 6-part international version, that is. I know the Italian version is divided into 7 episodes, so can't say in which episode of that version he appears in. Here are pics from British DVD which is in widescreen rather than 4:3.
Thanks, I did find him too, but your images are better than mine from Raiplay (also in ep. 2), so I'll use those :)

I managed to find all his titles listed on IMDb except Sanford and Son, so I'll save a post for you to add that one at your leisure

PeplumParadise

Requests for Johan

Post by PeplumParadise » 06/04/2024, 15:18

PeplumParadise wrote:
06/04/2024, 14:44
Johan Melle wrote:
06/04/2024, 14:26

Thanks, I did find him too, but your images are better than mine from Raiplay (also in ep. 2), so I'll use those :)

I managed to find all his titles listed on IMDb except Sanford and Son, so I'll save a post for you to add that one at your leisure
It looks like I'll also be calling on you for Good Times. There is something up with either the episode title or episode number on IMDb, as the episode titled "Michael's Big Fall" on Dailymotion, which they have as episode 17, does not correspond with the cast of the episode of that title on IMDb, where they have it as episode 8, but Riley does not appear in what Dailymotion has as episode 8 either. :sob:

Johan Melle

Requests for Johan

Post by Johan Melle » 06/04/2024, 16:32

PeplumParadise wrote:
06/04/2024, 15:18
It looks like I'll also be calling on you for Good Times. There is something up with either the episode title or episode number on IMDb, as the episode titled "Michael's Big Fall" on Dailymotion, which they have as episode 17, does not correspond with the cast of the episode of that title on IMDb, where they have it as episode 8, but Riley does not appear in what Dailymotion has as episode 8 either. :sob:
I think Dailymotion messed the whole thing up. The Internet Archive has the series too, and have the episodes similarly screwed up. The episode is indeed "Michael's Big Fall" and it should be episode 8 (from season 3). Here are the pics
Good Times - Jay Flash Riley1.jpg
Good Times - Jay Flash Riley2.jpg
Good Times - Jay Flash Riley3.jpg
Good Times - Jay Flash Riley4.jpg
Good Times - Jay Flash Riley5.jpg
Good Times - Jay Flash Riley6.jpg

And here he is in the Sanford and Son episode
Sanford And Son - Jay Flash Riley1.jpg
Sanford And Son - Jay Flash Riley2.jpg
Sanford And Son - Jay Flash Riley3.jpg
Sanford And Son - Jay Flash Riley4.jpg
Sanford And Son - Jay Flash Riley5.jpg
Sanford And Son - Jay Flash Riley6.jpg

PeplumParadise

Requests for Johan

Post by PeplumParadise » 06/04/2024, 16:37

Johan Melle wrote:
06/04/2024, 16:32
PeplumParadise wrote:
06/04/2024, 15:18
I think Dailymotion messed the whole thing up. The Internet Archive has the series too, and have the episodes similarly screwed up. The episode is indeed "Michael's Big Fall" and it should be episode 8 (from season 3). Here are the pics
Good Times - Jay Flash Riley1.jpg
Good Times - Jay Flash Riley2.jpg
Good Times - Jay Flash Riley3.jpg
Good Times - Jay Flash Riley4.jpg
Good Times - Jay Flash Riley5.jpg
Good Times - Jay Flash Riley6.jpg

And here he is in the Sanford and Son episode
Sanford And Son - Jay Flash Riley1.jpg
Sanford And Son - Jay Flash Riley2.jpg
Sanford And Son - Jay Flash Riley3.jpg
Sanford And Son - Jay Flash Riley4.jpg
Sanford And Son - Jay Flash Riley5.jpg
Sanford And Son - Jay Flash Riley6.jpg
Thank you!

I've re-checked that scene from Cleopatra and seeing him with his mouth closed I am more inclined to agree with your ID, though it would seem very curious that they would have brought him from America to only play a background role. I very much doubt he would have been employed as a dancer as he was quite overweight in the mid-60's and all the dancers seem to be very slim.
Cleopatra.1963.1080p.BluRay.x265-RARBG4a-side.jpg

The "Jay Riley" credited in Electric Angel (1981) I think must refer to someone else. I didn't find him in the film, which was shot entirely in Greece at a time when he was living in America. So this would seem to be his obligatory "not appearing" listing :laughing: