Requests for Johan

Errors and Additions reporting Topics to be revised
Update reminder Topics in preparation
van den bremt rudy
Senior

Requests for Johan

Post by van den bremt rudy » 22/10/2023, 1:08

Can you check for ROMANO PUPPO in Lo sgarbo (1975) if you have still pictures of this movie ?
A long time ago you posted some pictures of Helene Chanel i believe.
No role is given for Romano.
Thank you

PeplumParadise
Name: Nick

Requests for Johan

Post by PeplumParadise » 23/10/2023, 22:02

In your images of Thea from Via Margutta (1960), it looks like there is also Calisto Calisti. Can you please check what his role is and if there are any better shots.
Via Margutta - Thea Fleming2.jpg

Johan Melle

Requests for Johan

Post by Johan Melle » 23/10/2023, 23:21

PeplumParadise wrote:
23/10/2023, 22:02
In your images of Thea from Via Margutta (1960), it looks like there is also Calisto Calisti. Can you please check what his role is and if there are any better shots.
Via Margutta - Thea Fleming2.jpg
Couldn't find it when I checked now, so I think this one is on another (older) drive. Will check tomorrow.

PeplumParadise

Requests for Johan

Post by PeplumParadise » 09/11/2023, 12:19

Do you know if Archibald Lyall was involved in English dubbing in Italy in the 50's?

Also in your research have you come across any information regarding actors involved in English dubbing in Spain? I get the impression that most Italian-Spanish co-productions were dubbed in Italy, but there were plenty of Spanish films that have English dubs too. I think Eric Chapman may have been involved in English dubbing, but aside from one credit I have no information to corroborate this.

Johan Melle

Requests for Johan

Post by Johan Melle » 11/11/2023, 18:54

PeplumParadise wrote:
09/11/2023, 12:19
Do you know if Archibald Lyall was involved in English dubbing in Italy in the 50's?

Also in your research have you come across any information regarding actors involved in English dubbing in Spain? I get the impression that most Italian-Spanish co-productions were dubbed in Italy, but there were plenty of Spanish films that have English dubs too. I think Eric Chapman may have been involved in English dubbing, but aside from one credit I have no information to corroborate this.
Archibald Lyall: I guess he must have been since dubbing is mentioned in the biographical notes taken from his Cineguida listings. Doesn't say if it's English or Italian dubbing, but I would think it surely has to be English. Unfortunately, I don't know much about dubbing in the 1950s. There's very little information available and I think everyone that was involved back then are deceased by now. It also doesn't help that Italian films from pre-1958 are almost impossible to find in their English dubbed versions. What little information I've found about English dubbers in Rome in the 1950s has come mostly from old newspaper articles or brief mentions in books or biographies.

As for Spanish dubbing, there was an English dubbing scene in Spain, but it was much smaller than the one in Rome, as there was much less English-speaking talent available to do dubbing. Because of this, the Rome-based dubbers were often flown to Spain to dub there. Rodd Dana told me that he and several others were sent to both Madrid and Barcelona to dub many times.
I know there was a guy named Ben Tatar who was heavily involved in the dubbing scene in Spain. Jack Taylor also did a lot of dubbing in Spain. I think Ciavazzaro probably knows a bit more about that. And Frank Latimore, who was a major leading man dubber during his time in Rome, looks to have ended up moving to Spain and dubbing there for a few years after he left Rome in the early 1970s. I don't know of anyone else...

PeplumParadise

Requests for Johan

Post by PeplumParadise » 11/11/2023, 19:09

Johan Melle wrote:
11/11/2023, 18:54
Archibald Lyall: I guess he must have been since dubbing is mentioned in the biographical notes taken from his Cineguida listings. Doesn't say if it's English or Italian dubbing, but I would think it surely has to be English. Unfortunately, I don't know much about dubbing in the 1950s. There's very little information available and I think everyone that was involved back then are deceased by now. It also doesn't help that Italian films from pre-1958 are almost impossible to find in their English dubbed versions. What little information I've found about English dubbers in Rome in the 1950s has come mostly from old newspaper articles or brief mentions in books or biographies.

As for Spanish dubbing, there was an English dubbing scene in Spain, but it was much smaller than the one in Rome, as there was much less English-speaking talent available to do dubbing. Because of this, the Rome-based dubbers were often flown to Spain to dub there. Rodd Dana told me that he and several others were sent to both Madrid and Barcelona to dub many times.
I know there was a guy named Ben Tatar who was heavily involved in the dubbing scene in Spain. Jack Taylor also did a lot of dubbing in Spain. I think Ciavazzaro probably knows a bit more about that. And Frank Latimore, who was a major leading man dubber during his time in Rome, looks to have ended up moving to Spain and dubbing there for a few years after he left Rome in the early 1970s. I don't know of anyone else...
Thank you, useful information anyway.

Ben Tatar looks like he should be worth taking a look at - with 19 acting credits on IMDb spread over a 47 year period he seems like someone who will probably have undocumented roles to be found and with 7 small-sounding roles listed in films that I have I should be able to ID him with no problems

Johan Melle

Requests for Johan

Post by Johan Melle » 11/11/2023, 23:27

PeplumParadise wrote:
11/11/2023, 19:09
Thank you, useful information anyway.

Ben Tatar looks like he should be worth taking a look at - with 19 acting credits on IMDb spread over a 47 year period he seems like someone who will probably have undocumented roles to be found and with 7 small-sounding roles listed in films that I have I should be able to ID him with no problems
I just remembered there's actually an interview with him on the old Troma DVD of The Hanging Woman (1973) in which he talks about his experiences with dubbing. I just re-watched it and he does mention a lot of the Spanish horror movies he worked on. He also says a lady named Judy Stephen used to dub a lot of the leading lady parts.

PeplumParadise

Requests for Johan

Post by PeplumParadise » 11/11/2023, 23:42

Johan Melle wrote:
11/11/2023, 23:27
I just remembered there's actually an interview with him on the old Troma DVD of The Hanging Woman (1973) in which he talks about his experiences with dubbing. I just re-watched it and he does mention a lot of the Spanish horror movies he worked on. He also says a lady named Judy Stephen used to dub a lot of the leading lady parts.
I've managed to identify him in a few films, though I don't know how I'd do identifying him in a film where I don't know the role - anyway he's on my to-do-in-the-future list now so i'll look more deeply into him at a later date.

I'll check on Judy Stephen tomorrow. She has 12 roles listed on IMDb, 4 of which at least I have from which she should be identifiable from listed roles, so she's probably a good subject for an easy topic (and the Spanish section definitely needs more women).

In case you're interested here's Ben Tatar
The.Wind.And.The.Lion.1975.1080p.BluRay.x265-RARBG.jpg
tatar4.jpg

van den bremt rudy
Senior

Requests for Johan

Post by van den bremt rudy » 12/11/2023, 0:39

Found something for Judy Stephen, can be interesting for her later topic.
She was an American actress and singer and she was born in Texas (source Carta de ajuste.blogspot.com)

Also found a short documentary where she is herself called Flash 27 (1968) (source Imdb), You know the other titles.
And found some pictures of her on website Discogs.com.
A-3781551-1692200285-4154 Judy Stephen.jpg
P1210366 Judy Stephen.JPG
P1210364 Escala en Hi-Fi 1963.JPG
The last picture is from Escala en Hi-Fi.

van den bremt rudy
Senior

Requests for Johan

Post by van den bremt rudy » 28/11/2023, 12:00

A long time ago you posted some actors for Attentato al Papa (1986) tv miniseries.
Now i have found Massimo Vanni in a 15 minutes clip of this series, no other copies found till now. (episode 1 of 2)
Can you see if he is credited, if you have this movie still now ?
If you have better pictures of him, put them here, he is a Carabinieri or something like that.
vlcsnap-2023-11-28-11h45m20s256.jpg
vlcsnap-2023-11-28-11h45m43s259.jpg
vlcsnap-2023-11-28-11h46m06s621.jpg
By the way about the strange pseudonym for Massimo, Mike told me that he found that name in a book he has read.
Thanks.