Errors and Additions reporting Topics to be revised
Update reminder Topics in preparation
PeplumParadise
Name: Nick

Re: Requests for Nick

Post by PeplumParadise » 17/07/2021, 21:06

Johan Melle wrote:
17/07/2021, 20:12
I've upgraded the pics of Sal in I mostri.

Regarding La tigre è ancora viva: Sandokan alla riscossa! (1977), I have a copy of that one, so I can provide pics. Not sure whether it qualifies as a TV movie, a regular movie, or a mini-series, though. It was clearly made for television, but from what I can find, was first shown in cinemas in 1977. From browsing through Radiocorriere TV listings, it seems it was first shown on television in 1979 - as a two-part mini-series. My version is a two hour movie.
Sandokan Alla Riscossa - Sal Borgese1.jpg
Sandokan Alla Riscossa - Sal Borgese2.jpg
Sandokan Alla Riscossa - Sal Borgese3.jpg
Sandokan Alla Riscossa - Sal Borgese4.jpg
Sandokan Alla Riscossa - Sal Borgese5.jpg
Sandokan Alla Riscossa - Sal Borgese6.jpg
Sandokan Alla Riscossa - Sal Borgese7.jpg
Sandokan Alla Riscossa - Sal Borgese8.jpg
Yes, those Kabir Bedi Sandokan movies/series and also the Richard Chamberlain-starring versions of The Man in the Iron Mask and The Count of Monte Cristo from around the same time were all made as TV movies but then released theatrically internationally, so is a TV movie still a TV movie if it first has a theatrical release? :unsure2: :unsure2:

Johan Melle

Post by Johan Melle » 17/07/2021, 23:10

PeplumParadise wrote:
17/07/2021, 21:06
Yes, those Kabir Bedi Sandokan movies/series and also the Richard Chamberlain-starring versions of The Man in the Iron Mask and The Count of Monte Cristo from around the same time were all made as TV movies but then released theatrically internationally, so is a TV movie still a TV movie if it first has a theatrical release? :unsure2: :unsure2:
I guess it depends. In the case of the Monte Cristo movie, my DVD of it is widescreen and it has a proper cinematic look to it, so I'm thinking it was made all along with the intention of releasing it theatrically in Europe. The same cannot be said for the Sandokan film, which very much looks and feels like a TV production, with the 4:3 ratio, the compositions, and also the cast list in order of appearance at the end, which was standard practice for Italian TV productions of the time. It certainly doesn't look like it was made with theatrical distribution in mind, so my guess is that this was something they thought of a the last moment. So, with all that in mind, I guess TV movie really is the best description.

Anyway, I'm not convinced that the guy in Paradiso infernale is Sal. Doesn't look like him to me. I've had the displeasure of watching the entire terrible film and I didn't notice Sal anywhere. In my opinion he doesn't appear, having presumably played a role that ended up on the cutting room floor.

Oh, and L'isola del tesoro consists of only five episodes, not seven. Or at least the original Italian version is only five episodes. The German version, which is edited differently, consists of seven episodes. This was unfortunately a frequent problem in the 1980s, and there are numerous series that vary in the amounts of episodes from country to country, such as Martin Eden, Verdi and several others.

PeplumParadise

Post by PeplumParadise » 18/07/2021, 0:03

Johan Melle wrote:
17/07/2021, 23:10
PeplumParadise wrote:
17/07/2021, 21:06
I guess it depends. In the case of the Monte Cristo movie, my DVD of it is widescreen and it has a proper cinematic look to it, so I'm thinking it was made all along with the intention of releasing it theatrically in Europe. The same cannot be said for the Sandokan film, which very much looks and feels like a TV production, with the 4:3 ratio, the compositions, and also the cast list in order of appearance at the end, which was standard practice for Italian TV productions of the time. It certainly doesn't look like it was made with theatrical distribution in mind, so my guess is that this was something they thought of a the last moment. So, with all that in mind, I guess TV movie really is the best description.

Anyway, I'm not convinced that the guy in Paradiso infernale is Sal. Doesn't look like him to me. I've had the displeasure of watching the entire terrible film and I didn't notice Sal anywhere. In my opinion he doesn't appear, having presumably played a role that ended up on the cutting room floor.

Oh, and L'isola del tesoro consists of only five episodes, not seven. Or at least the original Italian version is only five episodes. The German version, which is edited differently, consists of seven episodes. This was unfortunately a frequent problem in the 1980s, and there are numerous series that vary in the amounts of episodes from country to country, such as Martin Eden, Verdi and several others.
Amendments made and Sandokan images added :thumbup:

That's enough for today, all the roles posted and titles to check added, I'll tackle the bio and filmography in the morning

Johan Melle

Post by Johan Melle » 18/07/2021, 0:18

PeplumParadise wrote:
18/07/2021, 0:03
That's enough for today, all the roles posted and titles to check added, I'll tackle the bio and filmography in the morning
Well done and a good rest certainly deserved :thumbup:

About Eurocrime! The Italian Cop and Gangster Films That Ruled the '70s (2012), though: I don't have a copy, but there's a trailer for it one YouTube that includes a little glimpse of Sal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILqe-2aumvw Looking at him, I notice he is dressed exactly the same as he was in the Helder von der Hölle (2008) documentary featurette and even the background is the same, so I'd say his interview footage must surely have been shot during that same session in 2008.
Eurocrime - Sal Borgese.jpg

That's not Sal playing the maharaja in The Maharaja's Daughter btw (I think it's actually Gerson Da Cunha in your pics). Sal does appear in all the episodes (as the sole Italian in the cast) but in a smaller role as a henchman:

Part One
Maharaja 1 - Sal Borgese1.jpg
Maharaja 1 - Sal Borgese2.jpg
Maharaja 1 - Sal Borgese3.jpg
Maharaja 1 - Sal Borgese4.jpg

Part Two
Maharaja 2 - Sal Borgese1.jpg
Maharaja 2 - Sal Borgese2.jpg

Part Three
Maharaja 3 - Sal Borgese1.jpg
Maharaja 3 - Sal Borgese2.jpg
Maharaja 3 - Sal Borgese3.jpg
Last edited by Johan Melle on 18/07/2021, 3:08, edited 2 times in total.

PeplumParadise

Post by PeplumParadise » 18/07/2021, 0:52

Johan Melle wrote:
18/07/2021, 0:18
PeplumParadise wrote:
18/07/2021, 0:03
Well done and a good rest certainly deserved :thumbup:

About Eurocrime! The Italian Cop and Gangster Films That Ruled the '70s (2012), though: I don't have a copy, but there's a trailer for it one YouTube that includes a little glimpse of Sal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILqe-2aumvw Looking at him, I notice he is dressed exactly the same as he was in the Helder von der Hölle (2008) documentary featurette and even the background is the same, so I'd say his interview footage must surely have been shot during that same session in 2008.
Eurocrime - Sal Borgese.jpg

That's not Sal playing the maharaja in The Maharaja's Daughter btw (I think it's actually Gerson Da Cunha in your pics). Sal does appear in all the episodes (as the sole Italian in the cast) but in a smaller role as a henchman:

Part One
Maharaja 1 - Sal Borgese1.jpg
Maharaja 1 - Sal Borgese2.jpg
Maharaja 1 - Sal Borgese3.jpg

Part Two
Maharaja 2 - Sal Borgese1.jpg
Maharaja 2 - Sal Borgese2.jpg

Part Three
Maharaja 3 - Sal Borgese1.jpg
Maharaja 3 - Sal Borgese2.jpg
Maharaja 3 - Sal Borgese3.jpg
Ah, well spotted, I wasn't sure as the beard seemed too white for Sal. I'll make the amendments in the morning

PeplumParadise

Post by PeplumParadise » 18/07/2021, 10:46

Johan Melle wrote:
18/07/2021, 0:18

Now corrected and thanks for the additional posts removing titles to check. Of all Sal's films to check I'm very surprised that Bello mio bellezza mia (1982) is so difficult to find considering that it stars Giancarlo Giannini and Mariangela Melato

Johan Melle

Post by Johan Melle » 22/07/2021, 21:20

In your pic from Il magnifico gladiatore (1964), it looks like we have Giuseppe Marrocu on the far left. I see this title is already in his filmography, but in the role of a nobleman, so looks like this is a second role in the same film then.
Magnifico Gladiatore Marrocu.jpg

PeplumParadise

Post by PeplumParadise » 23/07/2021, 15:01

Johan Melle wrote:
22/07/2021, 21:20
In your pic from Il magnifico gladiatore (1964), it looks like we have Giuseppe Marrocu on the far left. I see this title is already in his filmography, but in the role of a nobleman, so looks like this is a second role in the same film then.
Magnifico Gladiatore Marrocu.jpg
added

van den bremt rudy
Senior

Post by van den bremt rudy » 25/07/2021, 12:48

Nick, i have a question about topics

The last week i was less on the forum, because i was very busy with maybe an upcoming new topic for an actor who was an extra
an dwho is the equivalent of american extra Leoda Richards (Ciavazzaro has named him once let's say two years ago)
and i was investigating him and he has a huge list and i found him interesting because 99 percent of his appearances are uncredited

the question is, are these extra's too big to have a topic (see Leoda) or not ? (i have already more than 50 percent of his roles and as you have pointed out i have checked the best quality of the movies available

Shall i put the ones i have today or tomorrow or complete them (that takes time as you know)
I will give you a little information about him, it's an Australian extra who made his movies in the USA even beginning in the silent era

thanks

PeplumParadise

Post by PeplumParadise » 25/07/2021, 15:02

van den bremt rudy wrote:
25/07/2021, 12:48
Nick, i have a question about topics

The last week i was less on the forum, because i was very busy with maybe an upcoming new topic for an actor who was an extra
an dwho is the equivalent of american extra Leoda Richards (Ciavazzaro has named him once let's say two years ago)
and i was investigating him and he has a huge list and i found him interesting because 99 percent of his appearances are uncredited

the question is, are these extra's too big to have a topic (see Leoda) or not ? (i have already more than 50 percent of his roles and as you have pointed out i have checked the best quality of the movies available

Shall i put the ones i have today or tomorrow or complete them (that takes time as you know)
I will give you a little information about him, it's an Australian extra who made his movies in the USA even beginning in the silent era

thanks
Well obviously the main decision is Emiliano's and not mine, but for me anyone who worked predominantly as an extra or generico in uncredited roles is worthy of a topic since there is a good chance they will have further roles to be found and if you have images for more than 50% of his known roles then that would certainly be sufficient for starting a topic.

My comment in chat was directed at people starting topics with a handful of roles for well known actors for whom there is very little chance of discovering new roles.

Clearly we are less likely to find new roles for actors from American films since our research revolves almost entirely around Italian and European films, but if you have put the effort into finding the roles for this actor then I would say certainly go ahead and post the topic. You should choose if you prefer to post the topic now or collect more roles first, but if you already have the additional films ready to check then maybe better to do that first.