Requests for Nick

Errors and Additions reporting Topics to be revised
Update reminder Topics in preparation
FatmanDan
Name: Daniel

Re: Requests for Nick

Post by FatmanDan » 03/02/2022, 0:28

Hey, Nick. You asked for a good copy of ´Fermi tutti... arrivo io!`. Sadly, I haven't even heard of that before. But at a short glimpse at youtube, I'm sure, I found what you are searching for: Yes, John Cleese is appearing:
Screenshot (1328)-min.png
:tears_smile:

PS. And I think there's Aristide Catoni dancing around the 57 minutes mark.

PeplumParadise
Name: Nick

Post by PeplumParadise » 03/02/2022, 9:08

FatmanDan wrote:
03/02/2022, 0:28
Hey, Nick. You asked for a good copy of ´Fermi tutti... arrivo io!`. Sadly, I haven't even heard of that before. But at a short glimpse at youtube, I'm sure, I found what you are searching for: Yes, John Cleese is appearing:

There are Rodolfo Lodi, Mirko Bajocchi, Sleepy Eyes, Sandro Mondini and probably a few others, but in the copy I have (which is in 2 parts, so probably originated from Daily Motion, but doesn't seem to be there now) it is impossible to get clear images. I looked at the copy on You Tube, but it seemed to be even worse than the copy I have. The copy I have has a "RAI movie" logo, so I was hoping someone may have recorded it direct in better quality.

I can't remember the name of the "John Cleese" guy, but he's in lots of 50's Italian comedies with people like Toto, Tognazzi and Chiari

Johan Melle

Post by Johan Melle » 03/02/2022, 17:23

PeplumParadise wrote:
03/02/2022, 9:08
FatmanDan wrote:
03/02/2022, 0:28

There are Rodolfo Lodi, Mirko Bajocchi, Sleepy Eyes, Sandro Mondini and probably a few others, but in the copy I have (which is in 2 parts, so probably originated from Daily Motion, but doesn't seem to be there now) it is impossible to get clear images. I looked at the copy on You Tube, but it seemed to be even worse than the copy I have. The copy I have has a "RAI movie" logo, so I was hoping someone may have recorded it direct in better quality.
As far as I can see, there are two versions on YouTube. This awful looking one with Rai logo and in the wrong aspect ratio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsjyuOrIpmA

And this much better but not flawless version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH1HFEUgctI

I don't have this one myself and I haven't seen it available anywhere else.

PeplumParadise

Post by PeplumParadise » 03/02/2022, 17:38

Johan Melle wrote:
03/02/2022, 17:23
As far as I can see, there are two versions on YouTube. This awful looking one with Rai logo and in the wrong aspect ratio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsjyuOrIpmA

And this much better but not flawless version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH1HFEUgctI

I don't have this one myself and I haven't seen it available anywhere else.
I get "video unavailable" for the second one, but I'll see if I can get around that with a VPN a bit later, thanks

Johan Melle

Post by Johan Melle » 05/02/2022, 14:48

Three comments about Gianna Maria Canale:

The pictures from Aquila nera (1946) are not of Gianna Maria, but of Yvonne Sanson, another diva at the start of her career here. Do we know for sure that Gianna Maria really appears in this one? I know Tim Lucas says so in this Bava book, but he's known for getting his facts confused a lot of the time (I noticed, though, he mentions her debut being as an extra in Carmine Gallone's Rigoletto (1946)). Most seem to think Il cavaliere misterioso was her first film for Freda, though, and that he then cast her again in Il conte Ugolino and finally gave her a leading role in Guarany (released in January 1950 but apparently started in 1948).

Are there any credible sources stating that Freda and Canale were married? Isn't this just an urban legend of sorts? Much like the repeated claims that Dario Argento and Daria Nicolodi were married when in fact they never were. It seems highly unlikely they could have married, considering Freda was already married and that divorce was illegal in Italy in the 1950s. Which isn't to say they couldn't have had some sort of wedding while living in Brazil, but any such marriage would not have been legal.

And again for this car accident that supposedly ended her career: is this cited by any sort of credible source? I very much doubt it is true, largely because of an interview with Gianna Maria in a fotoromanzo magazine from 1963. I still have the magazine, but I'm not sure where it is and I've not managed to re-find it yet, so I'll have to paraphrase from my memory here, but she clearly states she was ready to retire. She had long been dissatisfied with her career, being typecast in peplum films and not seen as a serious actress, and so her role as Alberto Sordi's wife in the then recently released Il boom was a huge artistic triumph for her. She felt she had finally been able to show that she was a real actress capable of taking on other roles, but instead of building on that and trying to land further diverse roles, she wanted to quit films, feeling she'd proved what she wanted to prove and now wanted to move on. Of course, there are those two films she did in 1964, but they could've been completed prior to Il boom, or possibly she was already signed on to them and thus contractually obliged to do them. I don't know, but I given this interview, I really do think the decision to walk away from films was Gianna Maria's alone and not the result of being disfigured in a car accident. Her decision seems very much in line with the letter she wrote to Tim Lucas when he contacted her to interview her for his book on Mario Bava, with her politely thanking him for his interest but declining to be interviewed because to her, the past no longer exists.

PeplumParadise

Post by PeplumParadise » 05/02/2022, 15:27

Johan Melle wrote:
05/02/2022, 14:48
Three comments about Gianna Maria Canale:

The pictures from Aquila nera (1946) are not of Gianna Maria, but of Yvonne Sanson, another diva at the start of her career here. Do we know for sure that Gianna Maria really appears in this one? I know Tim Lucas says so in this Bava book, but he's known for getting his facts confused a lot of the time (I noticed, though, he mentions her debut being as an extra in Carmine Gallone's Rigoletto (1946)). Most seem to think Il cavaliere misterioso was her first film for Freda, though, and that he then cast her again in Il conte Ugolino and finally gave her a leading role in Guarany (released in January 1950 but apparently started in 1948).

Are there any credible sources stating that Freda and Canale were married? Isn't this just an urban legend of sorts? Much like the repeated claims that Dario Argento and Daria Nicolodi were married when in fact they never were. It seems highly unlikely they could have married, considering Freda was already married and that divorce was illegal in Italy in the 1950s. Which isn't to say they couldn't have had some sort of wedding while living in Brazil, but any such marriage would not have been legal.

And again for this car accident that supposedly ended her career: is this cited by any sort of credible source? I very much doubt it is true, largely because of an interview with Gianna Maria in a fotoromanzo magazine from 1963. I still have the magazine, but I'm not sure where it is and I've not managed to re-find it yet, so I'll have to paraphrase from my memory here, but she clearly states she was ready to retire. She had long been dissatisfied with her career, being typecast in peplum films and not seen as a serious actress, and so her role as Alberto Sordi's wife in the then recently released Il boom was a huge artistic triumph for her. She felt she had finally been able to show that she was a real actress capable of taking on other roles, but instead of building on that and trying to land further diverse roles, she wanted to quit films, feeling she'd proved what she wanted to prove and now wanted to move on. Of course, there are those two films she did in 1964, but they could've been completed prior to Il boom, or possibly she was already signed on to them and thus contractually obliged to do them. I don't know, but I given this interview, I really do think the decision to walk away from films was Gianna Maria's alone and not the result of being disfigured in a car accident. Her decision seems very much in line with the letter she wrote to Tim Lucas when he contacted her to interview her for his book on Mario Bava, with her politely thanking him for his interest but declining to be interviewed because to her, the past no longer exists.
Well I can only go on the information that is available from various sources. The only one I found that says they were definitely not married was a biography of Freda, though since that contains interviews with Freda's daughters I would imagine they should know if anyone does, however I have not read the book, only seen extracts online. While divorce was not possible in Italy it could maybe be possible that the divorce was granted in another country. Since it is uncertain and can't be clarified one way or the other then that is how I have put it in my biography.

There is confusion surrounding the car accident since it seems that she was involved in one with Freda in 1952 and it is unclear if the second car accident happened or not, though it would explain her refusal to ever be photographed after her retirement.

As for Aquila nera she is widely listed as appearing, though since you think that is Sanson and not her then I'm not sure what role she would be in, maybe a less visible extra - unfortunately my copy is fairly poor quality so if she does appear less visibly then I doubt she would be identifiable in the versions currently available. Of course it is also quite possible that someone at some point has mixed up her appearance in the sequel. Unfortunately the page regarding this film in Freda's biography is not viewable online, so I may have to buy the book to find out what is said about it.

I did find several mentions of Rigoletto online while researching the biography, but haven't got around to checking it yet. IMDb has a separate listing page for an "Anna Maria Canali" for this film and Madame Butterfly, which also lists several films in which Gianna Maria did appear, so I'm not sure if this refers to her or an opera singer with a similar name.

Gianna Maria's prolonged silence following her retirement really didn't do her legacy any favours.
Last edited by PeplumParadise on 05/02/2022, 16:00, edited 1 time in total.

PeplumParadise

Post by PeplumParadise » 05/02/2022, 15:55

I've deleted the post for Aquila nera and made some amendments to the biography

van den bremt rudy
Senior

Post by van den bremt rudy » 08/02/2022, 12:55

Nick can you help me out, if you have some spare time to replace my pictures in the topic of John Francis Lane regarding the movies "8 1/2" (1963) and "Roma" (1972) which you have i've seen it in your movie listings
I searched both movies at Rarefilm.net but there they are not listed but they are also on rarelust.com

For the movie "Via margutta" (1960) the movie wasn't available anymore at this moment (mayL'be someone else has it)

PS : I have put new and better pictures from rarefilm.net in his topic for these movies
La dolce vita, Il sorpasso, l'avventura and Sotto dieci bandieri
This afternoon i will put sme new ones for "Risate di gioia"

PeplumParadise

Post by PeplumParadise » 08/02/2022, 13:13

van den bremt rudy wrote:
08/02/2022, 12:55
Nick can you help me out, if you have some spare time to replace my pictures in the topic of John Francis Lane regarding the movies "8 1/2" (1963) and "Roma" (1972) which you have i've seen it in your movie listings
I searched both movies at Rarefilm.net but there they are not listed but they are also on rarelust.com

For the movie "Via margutta" (1960) the movie wasn't available anymore at this moment (mayL'be someone else has it)

PS : I have put new and better pictures from rarefilm.net in his topic for these movies
La dolce vita, Il sorpasso, l'avventura and Sotto dieci bandieri
This afternoon i will put sme new ones for "Risate di gioia"
Yes, no problem, I have to search 8 1/2 for another actor anyway so the timing is good - I will add them later today. I also have Via Margutta, but I don't remember what the quality is like, I will check to see if it is any better

van den bremt rudy
Senior

Post by van den bremt rudy » 08/02/2022, 13:28

Ok thanks Nick, i didn't saw Via Margutta in your list, but maybe it is still incompleted even with older titles