Nicola "Nikša" Stefanini was an actor active in Yugoslav / Croatian films and television, including many Italian co-productions, from the mid-1950's until his death in 1973.
He was born on October 9th 1905 in Zadar, Austria-Hungary (now Croatia). He died on July 4th 1973 in Munich, Germany, aged 67.
He began performing as an opera singer at the Zagreb HNK (national opera house) at the age of 19, and graduated from the State Acting School in 1926. He studied singing in Milan in 1929, performed as an actor at the Schubert Theatre in New York and performed as an opera tenor at the National Theatre in Belgrade. During his career he appeared in many opera, operetta and theatrical roles, in addition to which he translated opera and drama works, taught at the Zagreb Academy of Dramatic Arts and wrote a play and an operetta.
In 1956, at the age of 51, he belatedly launched his film and television career. He started his career with several larger supporting roles in Yugoslav productions, after which he mostly appeared in smaller character roles, including appearances in many peplums and historical films that were Italian co-productions. He also has several assistant director credits.
I have found a few uncredited appearances by Nikša, so I think it is quite likely there could be more roles to be found, both in Yugoslav and International productions.
His biographical details come mainly from the Miroslav Krleža Lexicographic Institute website, which seems like it should be a reliable source.
- Ne okreci se, sine .... Chief of the Ustasha Surveillance Service (credited as N. Stefanini)
- U mrezi .... Silvio (credited)
- Samo ljudi .... Dr. Zarko Mirkovic (credited)
- La strada lunga un anno .... David (credited)
- La tempesta .... Beloborodov (credited)
- Agi Murad il diavolo bianco .... Ganzolo (credited as Nicola Stefanini)
- I battellieri del Volga .... Grischa (uncredited)
- La furia dei barbari .... Schonak (credited as Nicola Stefanini)
- I tartari .... Tartar priest (uncredited)
- Il ratto delle sabine .... Friend of King Titus Tazio (uncredited)
- La schiava di Roma .... Modius (credited as Nicola Stefanini)
- Sansone .... Tribal champion challenging Samson (credited as actor as Nik Stefanini and Assistant director as N. Stefanini - uncertain identification)
- Anno 79: La distruzione di Ercolano .... Valerio (credited as Nicola Stefanini)
- Col ferro e col fuoco .... Andrea (credited as Alberto Stefanini)
- Il capitano di ferro .... Lieutenant of Di Rauchwitz (credited as Nicola Stefanini)
- Il vecchio testamento .... A Maccabee (credited as Nicola Stefanini)
- La furia di Ercole .... Robur (credited as actor as Nik Stefanini and Assistant director as N. Stefanini)
- La leggenda di Fra Diavolo .... Role? (uncredited)
- La valle dei lunghi coltelli .... Bullock (credited)
- La capanna dello zio Tom .... Role? (uncredited)
- La vie de château .... German general (uncredited - uncertain identification)
- Americka jahta u Splitskoj luci (TV movie) .... Filip Tudor (credited)
- John Klings Abenteuer (TV series) season 2, ep. 1: "Geschäftsfreunde" .... Venturo Turini (credited)
- Nase malo misto (TV series) season 1, eps. 2, 5 .... Iseljenik (credited)
Filmography to check
- Pustolov pred vratima (1961) IMDb as second assistant director (may not appear)
- Sreca dolazi u 9 (1961) IMDb as Pisac, night walk maniac (as translated by Google)
- Autobiografija utopljenice (1964 TV movie) IMDb
- Krhka igracka (1973 TV movie) IMDb