Admin
Name: Emiliano

Ben-Hur (1959)

Post by Emiliano » 16/12/2022, 14:58

PeplumParadise wrote:
16/12/2022, 14:53
Emiliano wrote:
16/12/2022, 10:59
...and maybe in the N. 133 in the middle there is Renzo Pevarello.
I also wondered about that being Renzo, though it seems more how he looked 10 years later. Unfortunately he's only seen in movement so impossible to get a sharp image, but can maybe be another "probable" identification?
I think probable/unsure is the right solution. Renzo was born with that face, in my opinion he also had it in his cradle. :laughing:

PeplumParadise
Name: Nick

Ben-Hur (1959)

Post by PeplumParadise » 16/12/2022, 14:59

Emiliano wrote:
16/12/2022, 14:42
I corrected the mispelled names.

I think that the journalist confused Pontius Pilate with Tiberius, because there are some photos of Andreotti during the circus working sequences, so maybe other authorities participated as well. But if you look closely around Pontius Pilate there are none one of them. Perhaps they only witnessed the "rehearsals" of the scene and did not participate in the actual shooting.

I'm honestly puzzled by the names in the Crucifixion sequence. For example, neither of the two thieves that can be seen can be Angelo Dessy, because he has always been plump and they are not at all. Though they are glimpsed, their body is definitely not Dessy's. I think that these parts should not be considered as useful for rebuilding the cast.

I knew we would find many errors here as well. Also because in the Podcast he doesn't say if he found the roles and simply reported them or if he "identified" them.
In addition to the 3 identified "foreign" actors, I added 3 more since you quoted my post, so 6 of those we already have identified.

Already identified
Ferdy Mayne
"Davis Ward", correct spelling is "Dervis"
"Duncan Lemant", correct spelling is "Lamont"
"Howard Leng", correct spelling is "Lang"
"Richard Coldman", correct spelling is "Coleman"
"Maxwell Show", correct spelling is "Shaw"

Emiliano
Admin

Ben-Hur (1959)

Post by Emiliano » 16/12/2022, 15:04

PeplumParadise wrote:
16/12/2022, 14:59

Already identified
Ferdy Mayne
So can I delete these from the list I reported, since they had already been found?

PeplumParadise

Ben-Hur (1959)

Post by PeplumParadise » 16/12/2022, 15:06

Emiliano wrote:
16/12/2022, 15:04
PeplumParadise wrote:
16/12/2022, 14:59

Already identified
Ferdy Mayne
So can I delete these from the list I reported, since they had already been found?
Yes

"Pietro Pini" is maybe a mistake for Aldo Pini, who is identified

Emiliano
Admin

Ben-Hur (1959)

Post by Emiliano » 16/12/2022, 15:15

PeplumParadise wrote:
16/12/2022, 15:06
"Pietro Pini" is maybe a mistake for Aldo Pini, who is identified
Surely. Removed him too.

PeplumParadise

Ben-Hur (1959)

Post by PeplumParadise » 16/12/2022, 16:24

Annuale, Casaretti, Pietro Marra and Renzo Pevarello now added, which I guess means they can be removed from Emiliano's list.

A shame to lose the info on Marra though, maybe you could add a Db topic for him using the images you posted here?

PeplumParadise

Ben-Hur (1959)

Post by PeplumParadise » 16/12/2022, 17:48

"Franco Fantasia .... One of the Roman soldiers in the galley of the naval battle (maybe a 2nd role?)"

The problem with this role description is that there are no Roman soldiers in the galley, they are all on deck, so either he plays one of the galley guards (along with Di Segni, Silvestri, Cecconi) who are dressed distinctly differently from the soldiers in kind-of S&M leather harness outfits, or else he is on the deck and not in the galley. Either way I don't see him anywhere in this scene, but there are plenty of soldiers who are not seen identifiably.

Emiliano
Admin

Ben-Hur (1959)

Post by Emiliano » 16/12/2022, 18:11

PeplumParadise wrote:
16/12/2022, 16:24
Annuale, Casaretti, Pietro Marra and Renzo Pevarello now added, which I guess means they can be removed from Emiliano's list.

A shame to lose the info on Marra though, maybe you could add a Db topic for him using the images you posted here?
I only deleted the names that were already found before my post. For those found after the info, I'll just draw a line, like this: Pietro Marra.

Emiliano
Admin

Ben-Hur (1959)

Post by Emiliano » 16/12/2022, 18:13

PeplumParadise wrote:
16/12/2022, 17:48
"Franco Fantasia .... One of the Roman soldiers in the galley of the naval battle (maybe a 2nd role?)"

The problem with this role description is that there are no Roman soldiers in the galley, they are all on deck, so either he plays one of the galley guards (along with Di Segni, Silvestri, Cecconi) who are dressed distinctly differently from the soldiers in kind-of S&M leather harness outfits, or else he is on the deck and not in the galley. Either way I don't see him anywhere in this scene, but there are plenty of soldiers who are not seen identifiably.
I would consider it as yet another role-error and since there is no evidence that the role was written or someone assigned it, I would not add it and I would put a line above and write aside "Not found in this role".

PeplumParadise

Ben-Hur (1959)

Post by PeplumParadise » 16/12/2022, 18:24

Emiliano wrote:
16/12/2022, 10:11

[*]Barbara Chase-Riboud .... Maid in the House of Beh-Hur (Philadelphia sculptor, poetess)
Based on the image you posted I would say she's the servant front-centre in 51