He was born Juan Olaguíbel Pedrós on September 30th 1908 in Irun, Spain, to parents Juan and Juana. He is rumoured to have been married to actress and costume designer Rene Olaguivel, but this is unconfirmed.
Like Mike Brendel, with whom he worked in films on many occasions, Juan came to acting by way of professional boxing and wrestling. His career took him over Europe, North and South America, with him spending periods living in Los Angeles, Brazil and (maybe) Argentina.
He reportedly appeared in a bit part in Hollywood production Anything Goes (1936) while resident in L.A. and his biography on IMDb mentions that there could be further film appearances in films from America and Venezuela. He began the Spanish phase of his film career in 1950, with it becoming his full-time profession after he retired from sports in the early 50's. He worked steadily in films for the next 2 decades, with his last known appearance coming in Horror Express in 1972.
He is reported to have died in 1983, date and cause unknown.
The alternate spellings of his surname are accounted for by the letters B and V being interchangeable and pronounced identically in Spanish (similarly to I and J in Italian). Since the credits with "B" slightly outnumber those with "V", then that is the spelling I have opted to use for his topic.
- Los peces rojos .... Mau-Mau (credited)
- Don Juan .... The Squire (uncredited)
- Todos somos necesarios .... Station café owner (credited)
- Agguato a Tangeri .... Henchman (uncredited)
- El hombre que viajaba despacito .... Man who impersonates Geraldo (credited)
- Los ángeles del volante .... Tough guy in the bar (uncredited)
- The Pride and the Passion .... Ramon (credited as "Juan Olaguivel")
- Caravana de esclavos .... Baraka (credited as "Juan Olaguibal")
- El hereje (L'eretico) .... Cafe customer (credited as "Juan Olaguivel")
- La rivolta dei gladiatori .... Gladiator-henchman (uncredited)
- The 7th Voyage of Sinbad .... Golar (uncredited)
- Azafatas con permiso .... Man in bar (credited as "Juanito Olaguibel")
- Holiday in Spain .... Truck driver (credited as "Juan Olaguivel")
- The Boy Who Stole a Million .... Carlos 2 (credited as "Juan Olaguivel")
- King of Kings .... Man in Herod's palace (uncredited)
- The Ceremony .... 3rd gendarme (credited)
- I cento cavalieri .... Torturer (credited)
- The Fall of the Roman Empire .... Man at Commodus's arrival in Rome (uncredited)
- Sette ore di fuoco .... Drunk (uncredited)
- Kid Rodelo .... Store keeper at the mine (credited as "Juan Olaquibel")
- Dio perdona... Io no! .... Targo (credited)
- Joe l'implacabile .... Troublemaker in bar (uncredited)
- Le avventure e gli amori di Miguel Cervantes .... Executioner (uncredited)
- La casa de las mil muñecas .... Salim (credited as "Juan Olaguivel")
- Candidato per un assassinio .... Habid (credited as "Juan Olaguivel")
- Land Raiders .... Blind conman (uncredited)
- Vivi o preferibilmente morti .... Blind conman (uncredited)
- Cateto a babor .... Cafe owner (credited as "Juan Olaguivel")
- Il trono di fuoco .... Torturer (uncredited)
- Murders in the Rue Morgue .... Fairground strongman (uncredited)
- Horror Express .... Creature (credited)
- Anything Goes (1936) IMDb as Guard with halberd. I did check for him in a rather poor copy found online, but wasn't able to recognise him, though it is very possible I missed him.
- The Avengers (1950) IMDb as Sancho
- Seis meses de vida (1951) IMDb
- Maldición gitana (1953) IMDb
- Mission in Morocco (1959) IMDb
- El rayo desintegrador (1966) IMDb
- La vergine di Samoa / Tabú (1966) IMDb
Titles where Juan is listed as appearing somewhere online, but cannot be found. There always has to be one!
- ¡Viva América! (1969) IMDb with no role. Not found