stuntmen before 1969

(Italian stuntmen before 1969)

Quick identifications
ChristofferSlotte

stuntmen before 1969

Post by ChristofferSlotte » 23/07/2022, 21:16

there is a book on Italian stuntmen in the making. The author is Luigi Toto, but I'm not sure when it will be finished. I was in touch with many older stuntmen myself 20 years ago, but many of them are now dead. I talked to Nazzareno Zamperla, Nando Poggi, Franco Daddi, Alfio Caltabiano, Remo De Angelis (might be the only one who is still alive), Franco Fantasia, Ottorino Polentini, Domenico Cianfriglia and maybe others. I had a long list of films that I sent to them and asked which ones they worked on. My favorite film is Ben-Hur from 1959 and I am always hoping to find production documents from that film, but no such luck yet. One that I'd still like to get in touch with is Giovanni Cianfriglia. Would it not be great if he would join this forum?

Stuntman Mike
Name: Matteo

stuntmen before 1969

Post by Stuntman Mike » 23/07/2022, 21:24

carlos wrote:
23/07/2022, 21:14
Stuntman Mike wrote:
23/07/2022, 20:43
Hi everyone!
I’m new in the forum. I’m Matteo from Italy.
3 important names are missing from the list in my opinion:

Novelli Mario
Petrazzi Riccardo
Ponti Virgilio
Welcome Matteo! Petrazzi is here: viewtopic.php?t=879
Yes! Right. I hadn't seen the post about him. Instead there aren’t specific post for Virgilio Ponti and Mario Novelli. If I understand how to make the cards I can write them in the next few days.

Stuntman Mike

stuntmen before 1969

Post by Stuntman Mike » 23/07/2022, 21:36

ChristofferSlotte wrote:
23/07/2022, 21:16
there is a book on Italian stuntmen in the making. The author is Luigi Toto, but I'm not sure when it will be finished. I was in touch with many older stuntmen myself 20 years ago, but many of them are now dead. I talked to Nazzareno Zamperla, Nando Poggi, Franco Daddi, Alfio Caltabiano, Remo De Angelis (might be the only one who is still alive), Franco Fantasia, Ottorino Polentini, Domenico Cianfriglia and maybe others. I had a long list of films that I sent to them and asked which ones they worked on. My favorite film is Ben-Hur from 1959 and I am always hoping to find production documents from that film, but no such luck yet. One that I'd still like to get in touch with is Giovanni Cianfriglia. Would it not be great if he would join this forum?
Wow! I didn’t know about the making of this book! Very interesting!
Speaking of books, the only book written in Italy up to now that collects numerous interviews with many stunts of the first generations is "Eroi a Cinecittà" by Fabio Melelli 1998. I have a copy of it, a collection of truly precious testimonies.
Personally I was lucky enough to start my stunt career under the guidance of Virgilio Ponti, one of the oldest ever together with Osiride Pevarello. Unfortunately Virgilio left us last year…but I have a lot of testimonies from him.
Giovanni Cianfriglia is another legend in the world of stunt…among stunts he is better known as “zi Peppe”.

Johan Melle

stuntmen before 1969

Post by Johan Melle » 23/07/2022, 23:18

Welcome to the forum, Matteo :ciao:

Stuntman Mike

stuntmen before 1969

Post by Stuntman Mike » 25/11/2023, 9:30

Hi everyone! I noticed that there is only one topic of Massimo Vanni in the "annuario degli attori". Was it purposely left out of the stunmen conversation? I ask this because Massimo Vanni's career, although also dotted with acting roles, was above all (and still is) dotted with stunt performances and work as stunt coordinator. If you think it's possible I would dedicate myself to creating his own topic as a stuntman and actor. Let me know.

PeplumParadise
Name: Nick

stuntmen before 1969

Post by PeplumParadise » 25/11/2023, 11:16

Stuntman Mike wrote:
25/11/2023, 9:30
Hi everyone! I noticed that there is only one topic of Massimo Vanni in the "annuario degli attori". Was it purposely left out of the stunmen conversation? I ask this because Massimo Vanni's career, although also dotted with acting roles, was above all (and still is) dotted with stunt performances and work as stunt coordinator. If you think it's possible I would dedicate myself to creating his own topic as a stuntman and actor. Let me know.
I assume you are referring to Emiliano's topic for Vanni in the actor db topics section. The list of stuntmen here was created by Christoffer from whatever information was available at the time (5 years ago we only had topics for around 5 stuntmen) and contains a number of omissions and debatable entries.

Emiliano started the db topics as a means of sharing the images and information of those actors found in the yearly Cineguida and Annuario degli attori books for whom we do not have other topics, so we have a record of how they looked and also as somewhere where we can link the actors roles from the film topics where they appear (I have recently started adding db topics for other actors who we have 3 or more roles identified in the film topics). These topics were created for any actors we do not have full topics for, regardless of whether they are stars, character actors, stuntmen or generici.

There is no reason why these topics cannot be expanded to full topics if someone has the inclination to do so, as I recently did for Daniele Vargas. If you wish to start a topic for Vanni, let me know and I will move the existing topic from db to stuntmen and change the author - the only request would be that you keep the existing profile image(s) and any information from the topic.

Stuntman Mike

stuntmen before 1969

Post by Stuntman Mike » 25/11/2023, 13:52

Ok! Thankyou for the informations Nick. Now I have a clearer idea of ​​the organization of some topics.

Yes, I confirm that I’d like to work on the Vanni’s Topic. I’ll start tomorrow to search his roles.

PeplumParadise

stuntmen before 1969

Post by PeplumParadise » 25/11/2023, 14:55

Stuntman Mike wrote:
25/11/2023, 13:52
Ok! Thankyou for the informations Nick. Now I have a clearer idea of ​​the organization of some topics.

Yes, I confirm that I’d like to work on the Vanni’s Topic. I’ll start tomorrow to search his roles.
OK, I have moved the existing topic to Stuntmen and made you the author. I did not add an icon yet as you may have a better image than the ones from the film topics.

The titles from the old filmography can be deleted when they are posted and added to the new filmography

PeplumParadise

stuntmen before 1969

Post by PeplumParadise » 03/12/2023, 15:32

screenshot10.jpg
ChristofferSlotte wrote:
02/12/2023, 19:46
PeplumParadise wrote:
10/01/2021, 15:58
The Last Days of Pompeii (1984) TV mini-series, episode 3, as Gladiator
screenshot10.jpgscreenshot11.jpgscreenshot12.jpg
Found by Johan in this on-set still, but he does not appear on-screen with Ernest Borgnine in the series
elio.jpg
The gladiator walking in front of Pazzafini is UK stuntman Terry Richards, who played the swordsman who was shot by Indiana Jones in Raiders of the Lost Ark. The gladiator walking after Pazzafini is UK stuntman Peter Brace.
Christoffer posted this comment in the topic for Nello Pazzafini. I'm not sure really what the correct place to store this information should be (but obviously not in Nello's topic), so I have moved it to here for the time being

Stuntman Mike

stuntmen before 1969

Post by Stuntman Mike » 07/03/2024, 14:32

Updated list of Stuntmen/Stuntwomen to be included in the database

Basile, Antonio
Beltramme, Franco
Capitani, Remo
Cardinali, Nazzareno
Ciani, Sergio (Alan Steel)
Ciavarro, Luigi "Gigetto"
Colombaioni Arnaldo
Danesi, Alfredo
Danesi, Antonio
De Angelis, Pietro
De Angelis, Remo
De Luca, Umberto
Dell'Acqua, Franco
Dell’Acqua, Fernanda
Di Gioia, Nicola
Dionisi, Mario
Falasca, Sergio
Fantasia, Franco
Fasciolo, Anacleto
Figlia, Paolo
Fineschi, Lorenzo
Gambini, Biagio
Gambini, Nella
Gasparri, Mauro
Mannoia, Fiorella
Mannoia, Maurizio
Mannoia, Patrizia
Mannoia, Luigi
Marra, Attilio
Marra, Luigi
Marra, Pietro
Musumeci Greco, Enzo
Pelizzi, Valentino
Scarchilli, Sandro
Scarchilli, Sergio
Spada, Italo
Spada, Romolo
Strano, Dino (Dean Stratford)
Tomassini, Ferdinando
Tomassini, Tito
Zamperla, Annamaria
Zucchet Claudio

- About Zucchet I think that Johan is still creating the topic.
- I’ve tried to identified Franco Dell’Acqua (the fifth male brother) but is very diffcult. Of all the brothers, he is the one who has worked the least in cinema and most of his performances involve fire. Often his face is never recognisable.
- About Fernanda Dell’Acqua, Anna Maria Zamperla and the Mannoia sisters: It would be nice to be able to open at least one topic about a stuntwoman. The problem is that the women are almost always stunt doubles, difficult to see them as a character, therefore unidentifiable. Maybe easier with Nella Gambini. I need to do a check.
Last edited by Stuntman Mike on 25/03/2024, 13:03, edited 4 times in total.