A big lady with a big smile, Edith Arlene Peters was a black American actress and singer, active in Italian films from the start of the 1960's until the early 1980's.
She was born in Los Angeles, California on April 14th 1926, the 4th of 5 sisters.
Three of Edith's sisters: Virginia, Mattye and Ann, formed the singing group "The Peters Sisters", who appeared in a number of Hollywood films in the 30's and 40's. Edith was never a part of the group, though their films do pop up in some of her filmographies online. It seems that Edith appeared as a duo with remaining sister, Joyce (Wikipedia says they also performed as The Peters Sisters, but this would seem highly unlikely).
The Peters Sisters relocated to Europe in time to appear in 2 French films in 1950, then appeared in films shot in Germany later in the decade. It is unclear whether Edith and Joyce moved with their sisters or later, but in 1957 we have the first European sighting of Edith (together with Joyce) in the Spanish musical Quiéreme con música.
The following year she married her Italian agent, Silvio Catalano, and made Italy her home. Her acting career begins in 1960 and she continued to appear in small parts throughout the decade, most often cast as smart-talking maids or cooks. She did not make any film appearances in the 70's, but did make some music recordings, then reappeared for a few final film roles at the start of the 80's.
Nothing is known about Edith's life after this, though there are a few music performances from Italian TV to be found on You Tube which are clearly from later in her life.
Edith died in Los Angeles on October 28th 2000, aged 74.
- Quiéreme con música .... role? (poster credit as "Edith and Joyce Peters")
- Cartagine in fiamme …. Sarepta (credited)
- Il sangue e la rosa …. The cook (credited as "Edith Arlene Peters Catalano")
- Madri pericolose …. Princess Fatima (credited as "Edith Peter")
- Robin Hood e i pirati …. Bambola (credited)
- Sotto dieci bandiere …. Sister (credited as "Edith Arlene Peters")
- Vita col padre e con la madre (TV mini-series, ep. 1) …. Singer (credited)
- 5 marines per 100 ragazze …. The cook (credited as "Edith Peter")
- Ein Stern fällt vom Himmel …. Fräulein Pfeffer (poster credit - role unconfirmed)
- Il giudizio universale …. Black woman (credited as "Edith Arlene Peters")
- Un vita difficile …. Herself (credited as "Edith Catalano Peters")
- Canzoni a tempo di twist …. role? (poster credit as "Edith Peter")
- L'ira di Achille …. Nubian slave (credited as "Edith Peters Catalano")
- La luna dei Caraibi (TV movie) …. Bella (credited)
- Una tragedia americana (TV mini-series, ep. 3) …. Muriel (credited)
- Venere imperiale …. African nobility (uncredited)
- Obiettivo ragazze …. Native (credited as "Edith Peter")
- Due mafiosi nel Far West …. role? (credited as "Edith Peter")
- Agente 3S3: Passaporto per l'inferno …. Does not appear (credited as singer of the theme song)
- Gli uomini dal passo pesante …. Emma (credited)
- Se tutte le donne del mondo… …. Maria (credited)
- Lisa dagli occhi blu …. The cook (credited)
- Il bisbetico domato …. Mamie (credited)
- La poliziotta a New York …. The maid (credited)
- Italia : intervista musicale (1960) TV interview and singing performance
- Carosello : sogno e risveglio (1965) Commercial for Olio sasso (credited)
- Carosello : Sasso 1 (Year uncertain) Commercial for Sport e dieta
- Die türkischen Gurken (1962) IMDb as Mahila
- Lui è peggio di me (1985) ANICA as Singer