Already close to 40 when she began appearing in films, Amina was never able to achieve the same kind of success in films as she'd had on the stage. Her roles were nearly always small and very often uncredited, but as a consummate professional, she always made the most of her limited screen-time and managed to make an impression. Due to her heavily build and large nose, Amina was often cast in comedic roles, but also appeared in dramatic parts, playing many diverse characters such as mothers, maids, prison guards, nuns or nosy gossips. From the late 1950s and onwards, she started to be credited more frequently, even though her roles still remained small.
Amina Pirani Maggi disappeared from the movie screens in the mid 1960s, and she died in Rome in 1979. Unfortunately, a lot of her films from the 1930s and 40s are currently unavailable, but will hopefully be unearthed in the future. There are surely also quite a few undocumented roles for her to be discovered.
Biographical note[2, 3]
- Height: 1,72 m.
- Weight: 80 kg.
- Instruction: Classical lyceum.
- Acting teacher.
- Foreign languages: French.
- Prose theater (character actress).
- She lived in Rome, in via del Corso, 337.
- Come le foglie .... Elena (uncredited)
- Darò un milione .... Patroness (uncredited)
- Vecchia guardia .... The mayor's wife (uncredited)
- La damigella di Bard .... The countess (uncredited)
- Giuseppe Verdi .... Chestnut vendor (uncredited)
- I grandi magazzini .... Department store customer (uncredited)
- Montevergine .... Maria (credited)
- Un'avventura di Salvator Rosa .... Duchess Isabella's companion (uncredited)
- Cuori nella tormenta .... Gilda, Teresa's mother (credited)
- Lucrezia Borgia .... Beatrice (uncredited)
- Manon Lescaut .... Gossiping countess (uncredited)
- Oltre l'amore .... Elisa (poster credit as "Amani Pirani Maggi" - role unconfirmed)
- Il bravo di Venezia .... Gossiping woman by the well (uncredited)
- Il cavaliere senza nome .... Elena, the nurse-maid (credited? - role unconfirmed)
- Il re si diverte .... Berarda, Gilda's maid (credited)
- Teresa Venerdì .... Impatient woman in line at the post office (uncredited)
- La mecca dei desideri (Short) .... The wife (credited)
- Una signora dell'Ovest .... Mama Alvarez (uncredited)
- Una storia d'amore .... Boarding house landlady (credited as "A. Pirani Maggi")
- La Fornarina .... Mamma Rosa (uncredited)
- La statua vivente .... Amelia, Cesare's wife (uncredited)
- Rita da Cascia .... Nun (uncredited)
- L'innocente Casimiro .... Casimiro's mother (uncredited)
- Napoli eterna canzone .... Mario's mother (credited as "Amina Pirani Maggio")
- Amori e veleni .... Marta, the housekeeper (credited)
- Il monello della strada .... Agnese (credited as "Anna Pirani Maggi")
- Vita da cani .... Landlady (uncredited)
- Vogliamoci bene! .... Signora Silvestri (credited as "Annina Pirani Maggi")
- Amo un assassino .... Giovanna, the cleaning lady (credited)
- Bellezze in bicicletta .... Bus passenger (credited as "Annina Pirani Maggi")
- Altri tempi - segment "Il processo di Frine" .... Spectator at the trial (uncredited)
- Chi è senza peccato .... Prison matron (uncredited)
- Menzogna .... Maid (uncredited)
- When in Rome .... Dove Silesto (credited)
- La lupa .... Midwife (uncredited)
- Stazione Termini .... Woman at telegram office (uncredited)
- Vortice .... Prison matron (uncredited)
- Le campane di San Giusto .... role? (poster credit)
- Questa è la vita - segment "Marsina stretta" .... Nosy woman chatting with the doorman (uncredited)
- Se vincessi cento milioni - segment "Il pensionato" .... Signora Anastasi (uncredited)
- Buonanotte... avvocato! .... Countess Pirani (credited as "Pirani Maggi")
- L'angelo bianco .... Prison matron (credited)
- La donna più bella del mondo .... Nora (uncredited)
- Porta un bacione a Firenze .... Agnese (credited)
- Torna piccina mia! .... Teresa, the maid (uncredited)
- Ci sposeremo a Capri .... Aunt Agnese (credited)
- Il cavaliere dalla spada nera .... Marco's mother (credited)
- Totò lascia o raddoppia? .... Television viewer (uncredited)
- Ascoltami .... Giulia's colleague (credited as "Amina Pierani Maggi")
- Il corsaro della Mezza Luna .... Gertrude, the nurse-maid (credited)
- L'ultima violenza .... Cleaning lady (credited)
- Amore e guai... .... Nun on the train (uncredited)
- L'amore nasce a Roma .... Silvia's mother (uncredited)
- La Maja desnuda .... Maid (uncredited)
- Le dritte .... Rina's mother (uncredited)
- Il mondo dei miracoli .... Member of the acting troupe (credited)
- Simpatico mascalzone .... Signora Assunta (credited as "A. Pirani-Maggi")
- Fontana di Trevi .... Woman in record store (uncredited)
- La banda del buco .... Signorina Brambilla, the secretary (credited)
- Gli scontenti .... Ersilia (credited)
- Rosmunda e Alboino .... Woman taking care of Rosmunda's baby (credited)
- Zorro e i tre moschettieri .... Disapproving woman at the ball (credited)
- Soldati e caporali .... Signora Olga (credited as Anna Maria Pirani Maggi)
Here's a long list of further titles that Amina is supposed to appear in, but for which I've not been able to find copies...
- Televisione (1931) - Cinematografo.it as Signora Ridon
- Il treno delle 21.15 (1933) - ANICA
- Luci sommerse (1934) - ANICA
- Seconda B (1934) - ANICA as Signora Renzi
- Mille lire al mese (1938) - ANICA as Magda's mother
- Bionda sottochiave (1939) - ANICA, Cineguida 1949
- L'ospite di una notte (1939) - ANICA, Cineguida 1949 as Caterina
- Leggenda azzurra (1940) - ANICA
- Mare (1940) - ANICA as Fisherman's wife
- L'amore canta (1941) - ANICA
- Caravaggio, il pittore maledetto (1941) - ANICA
- Ridi pagliaccio! (1941) - ANICA as Prison nun
- Villa da vendere (1941) - ANICA as Concierge
- La pantera nera (1942) - ANICA as Signora Simmons
- Perdizione (1942) - ANICA, Cineguida 1949
- Soltanto un bacio (1942) - ANICA as Anna's aunt
- Ultimo addio (1942) - ANICA
- Una volta alla settimana (1942) - ANICA as Signora Maria
- Il ponte sull'infinito (1942) - Cinematografo.it, Cineguida 1949 as Marta
- La storia di una capinera (1945) - ANICA
- Vietato ai minorenni (1945) - ANICA
- Felicità perduta (1946) - ANICA
- Il marito povero (1946) - ANICA
- Arrivederci papà! (1948) - ANICA, Cineguida 1949 as Nanna, the housekeeper
- La figlia del mendicante (1950) - ANICA
- Sambo (1950) - ANICA as Fortune-teller
- Abracadabra (1952) - ANICA
- Tormento di anime (1953) - ANICA as Sora Peppina
- La prigioniera di Amalfi (1954) - ANICA
- I calunniatori (1956) - ANICA
- Mamma sconosciuta (1956) - ANICA as Landlady
- Non posso amarti - Cineguida 1956
- Accadde a casa mia (1955) - Cineguida 1956
Like always with little-known actors with large online filmographies, there are some titles that various sources list them as appearing in, but in which they are actually nowhere to be found. I couldn't find Amina in the following films, but maybe others will have more luck...
- L'argine (1938) - Listed by ANICA as playing A woman of the people. There is one woman that resembles Amina, but she's too fat for it to be her in my opinion.
- Il canto della vita (1945) - Listed by ANICA with no role given.
- La carrozza d'oro (1952) - Listed by ANICA with no role given.
- Guai ai vinti (1954) - Listed by Cineguida 1956 and ANICA as playing Woman in mourning but I couldn't find her in the admittedly poor version I watched.
- Torna! (1954) - Listed by ANICA with no role given.
|1. Paolo Romano, Giancarlo Beltrame. Luci sulla città: Verona e il cinema (2002).|
2. Dante Lazzaro. Cineguida 1949.
3. Dante Lazzaro. Cineguida 1956.