Antonio Acqua was an imposing small-part character actor and generico, active in Italian films from at least the start of the 1940's until his death in 1966.
He was born in Rome on November 5th 1893, the first-born son of Camillo Acqua, Count of Osimo, from whom he inherited the title. Wikipedia adds that his mother was Teresa Faustini and that he had a brother named Mario. He died on October 18th 1966, also in Rome, at the age of 72.
His known film career began at the start of the 40's in a handful of historical features, after which there is currently a gap until the end of the decade. From the start of the 50's he then worked steadily until his death, including small but memorable roles in a number of famous films. More often than not his roles went uncredited. He also worked as an actor in the theatre.
His heavy, dark eyes and thin lips gave him a sinister appearance, not unlike Sam the bald eagle from the Muppets, which he could use to imposing or comic effect depending on the role.
I have found a number of previously unrecorded appearances by Antonio in peplum films of a more generico nature than most of his better known roles, so I think it is highly likely that more small roles will be discovered, particularly from the mid-late 40's and maybe there could also be some earlier roles from the 30's to be found.
His biographical details come mostly from his Tototruffa profile. It should be noted that IMDb and some other sites give alternate dates for his birth and death.
- Giuliano de' Medici .... Monteseco (uncredited)
- Don Cesare di Bazan .... Captain Ribera (uncredited)
- La cena delle beffe .... Lapo (uncredited)
- Fabiola .... Senator (uncredited)
- Altri tempi - Zibaldone n. 1 .... "Science" (credited)
- Camicie rosse (Anita Garibaldi) .... Austrian colonel (uncredited)
- Lo sceicco bianco .... Commissioner (uncredited)
- Ai margini della metropoli .... Prosecutor (uncredited)
- La domenica della buona gente .... Guest of Malesci (uncredited)
- La signora senza camelie .... Movie theatre owner (uncredited)
- L'arte di arrangiarsi .... Raoul Casamattola (credited)
- Ragazze d'oggi .... Antique dealer (uncredited)
- War and Peace .... General of Napoleon (uncredited)
- Il ferroviere .... Commissioner (uncredited)
- Tempo di villeggiatura .... Ferrari (credited)
- La ragazza del palio .... Journalist (uncredited)
- Totò, Vittorio e la dottoressa .... Doctor (uncredited)
- Amore e chiacchiere .... Councillor (credited)
- Ladro lui, ladra lei .... Lawyer (uncredited)
- Le bellissime gambe di Sabrina .... Voyeur in the hotel (uncredited)
- Costa Azzurra .... Train passenger (uncredited)
- Erode il grande .... Courtier (uncredited)
- Il magistrato .... Bank manager (credited)
- Il romanzo di un maestro (TV Mini-Series) - episode 4 .... The pastor (credited)
- Le notti di Lucrezia Borgia .... Tavern customer (uncredited)
- Un maledetto imbroglio .... General Pomilia (credited)
- I Teddy boys della canzone .... The scientist (uncredited)
- Il vigile .... The accountant with the new car (uncredited)
- La regina delle Amazzoni .... Spectator at the games (uncredited)
- Madri pericolose .... The Improta butler (credited)
- Totò, Fabrizi e i giovani d'oggi .... Bakery customer who steals the cakes (uncredited)
- Divorzio all'italiana .... Priest (credited)
- L'oro di Roma .... Jewish councillor (credited)
- Le ambiziose .... The mayor (uncredited)
- Maciste contro Ercole nella valle dei guai .... Blind man (uncredited)
- Boccaccio '70 .... Commander "La Pappa" (uncredited)
- Il cambio della guardia .... Paesano (uncredited)
- La marcia su Roma .... Prison director (uncredited)
- La rossa .... Library doorman (credited)
- Lo smemorato di Collegno .... President of the tribunal (uncredited)
- Gli onorevoli .... Santamaura's secretary (uncredited)
- Il giorno più corto .... Von Gassman's lieutenant (uncredited)
- Ercole contro i figli del sole .... Maytha's high priest (credited)
- I maniaci .... Literary critic (uncredited)
- I nostri mariti .... Doctor at Lo Verso's (uncredited)
- Mondo pazzo... gente matta! .... The colonel (credited)
- Signore & signori .... Attorney Scarfiotti (uncredited)
- Un angelo per Satana .... Sergente (credited)
There are a few more titles where Antonio is rumoured to appear that I have been unable to find copies of, so if anybody has any of the titles below you know what to do...
- La via del Sud (1953) ANICA as Old general
- In amore si pecca in due (1953) ANICA
A lack of Acqua!
Titles where Antonio is listed as appearing somewhere online, but where I was unable to find him. There always has to be one!
- Il cocco di mamma (1957) IMDb as Nightclub waiter. This role is played by Enzo Ricciardi.
- 8 1/2 (1963) ANICA, Tototruffa and IMDb, which says he should play a Man in a car. He does not appear as any of the men in cars and I couldn't find him anywhere else either. My only guess could be that someone mis-identified him for not-very-similar-looking Egidio Ummarino, who does appear as a man in a car but isn't credited anywhere apart from here.